2nd Hand MH & the dreaded VAT (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Look forward to your comments on this one and will not be offended at all!
Am I being stupidly pedantic or just being a tight a----- Scot in not being prepared to pay for a second hand MH (2 years old) which has just been reduced from its new price by the VAT payable when new?After all the VAT does not represent any part of the vehicle simply the tax dear George Osborne wanted from the purchaser of it! I can understand that the sellers must be aggrieved that he has nothing to show for the VAT he paid.
My way of thinking is that VAT is not payable on a second hand MH and being 2 years old there must also be depreciation to be taken off it's new cost.

Thanks again Ian

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Depreciation on motorhomes is a strange beast and doesn't seem to follow any rules. There have been a number of threads on here mentioning that people had sold their vans for more than they paid some years beforehand.

Probably the best guide for a particular van is to use Google and see what they are selling for generally.

Upvote 0

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I understand where you are coming from but, when ever I buy a new vehicle the on the road price paid in total by me is the price I paid for it, vat or no vat at the end of the day. If you are trying to work out what you are prepared to pay for a second hand van by deducting 20% for the vat and then an allowance for depreciation I think you are probably likely to be disappointed. Any second hand van or anything else for that matter is worth what the best buyer available is prepared to pay at the time, irrespective of what the total original price was. If you don't like the asking price make an offer, the seller can always say no!

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If buying from a dealer then the screen price is the point at which negotiations begin....
Dealers know that some buyers simply won't negotiate, so why offer them their best price.
If I was buying second hand I'd take off the VAT and work back from there depending on age and condition

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I assume your prospective purchase is from a private seller (or is he a VAT Trader selling as a private seller?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
After all the VAT does not represent any part of the vehicle

Of course it does, unless you are VAT registered.

Here is a new van £50,000 to you. That's it. That is what you have to pay.

Now 2 years on the dealer says the price is £40,000.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Of course it does, unless you are VAT registered.

Here is a new van £50,000 to you. That's it. That is what you have to pay.

Now 2 years on the dealer says the price is £40,000.

What part does the VAT buy of the MH?

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

You buy a new MH.

You pay FIAT £9000
You pay a converter £30000
You Truma £2000
You pay HMG £5000

All you know is the total bill. The VAT part ensures that it is built to regulations, it ensures you can go there in safety to buy it, it enures you will be treated when you smash it up and stick your head through the window.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
So what you're saying is, it's a used two year old van that costs 20% less than the price of a new van. So it's dropped a fifth of it's value in depreciation in those two years, if you think that's a fair price, take it from there.

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I agree with WAG,s comments , the vat thing is a bit of a myth,the dealer will have to send 20% of the purchase price to the taxman but to think that that instantly reduces the value of the item by 20% just does not happen.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In simple terms it gets you nothing, it's simply a tax paid (and reclaimed) by manufacturers and paid but not reclaimed by consumers (you and me)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I agree with WAG,s comments , the vat thing is a bit of a myth,the dealer will have to send 20% of the purchase price to the taxman but to think that that instantly reduces the value of the item by 20% just does not happen.
But why not he never paid any more than the cost of the MH he recovered 100% the VAT

Upvote 0

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
All of it unless you are vat registered and its for your business, the vat is simply part of the cost of purchase.
I bet you would say your bacon roll cost £2.40 you wouldn't say it was £2,00 and forget the vat would you?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
All of it unless you are vat registered and its for your business, the vat is simply part of the cost of purchase.
I bet you would say your bacon roll cost £2.40 you wouldn't say it was £2,00 and forget the vat would you?
Not quite sure the relevance of a bacon roll however!

Upvote 0

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
But why not he never paid any more than the cost of the MH he recovered 100% the VAT

What about the dealers 30% profit, that isn't reflected in the value of the motorhome is it, to be sure, best knock of 50% plus depreciation and start there!

Good luck with that!

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The dealers back caculate 16.666% of the new selling price of the retail price. This is paid the HMRC

If the dealer buys a 2nd hand van for £10k and sells it for £14K The dealer pays the VAT element only on the £4k profit

If Van Bitz buy the motorhome, we can claim the VAT element back from the HMRC

When Van Bitz sells a motorhome, we too then have to pay 16.666% of the selling price to the HMRC

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just had a thought.....
The dealer has to add VAT to the selling price of the second hand van too

Upvote 0

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
As I understand it VAT has to be paid on the vehicle at some point,

So if a new vehicle VAT is paid,

However if the vehicle is then, registered as a disable vehicle, or exported the VAT is reclaimed, or if it is reclaimed as it is purchased as an asset of a VAT registered company, then the VAT is due at resale,

If the vehicle is imported not new then VAT is also due

Not an expert but my understanding.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Does this help??

Margaret Stone, the Daily Mail's Money Doctor, replies: There are two ways in which motor dealers handle VAT on used vehicles. Some charge VAT only on the profit they make on the sale of the car. This is known as the second-hand margin scheme, used by most car dealers.

Alternatively, they can charge VAT on the total transaction cost - that is the second-hand selling price achieved. It depends on how they choose to keep their records.

The second-hand margin scheme requires more paperwork-from the dealer. He must, for example, keep the relevant stock books which include details such as the car's engine number.

Each method of charging VAT is legal, and HMRC is concerned only that the dealer tells them which scheme he is using.

There is no obligation for the dealer to tell the customer at the outset which method of charging VAT will be used. Nor is there a legal right for the customer to know, or be told, how much of the price comprises VAT.

Upvote 0

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
As I understand it VAT has to be paid on the vehicle at some point,

So if a new vehicle VAT is paid,

However if the vehicle is then, registered as a disable vehicle, or exported the VAT is reclaimed, or if it is reclaimed as it is purchased as an asset of a VAT registered company, then the VAT is due at resale,

If the vehicle is imported not new then VAT is also due

Not an expert but my understanding.

Upvote 0

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
The dealer only pays VAT on the profit or commision if selling on owner's behalf if he puts it through the books!
Same as second hand goods traders.
If the dealer has not registered/transfers the vehicle to himself there will be more movement on price as less vat to pay he can off set on prep/cleaning charges.
so if he bought a motorhome for 40,000 and sold for 50,000 service prep hand over warranty = £7000 he would pay VAT on £3000 he would pay VAT £500.
Regards
Jim

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i have an expert sitting next to me on the sofa , my missus is an accountant (y)
at the end of the day , you may find someone who will accept the argument that the vat has been paid and reduce the second hand value by 20% before calculating the depratiation , but personally i would not , i would calculate the resale value on the original price , having sold boats , motorcycles and a caravan ive heard quite a few reasons as to why i should drop my asking price but never the vat element ;)

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
So much more to it than VAT.
Price increases / inflation
Currency fluctuations
Availability of model
Time of year

Bearing in mind that many 10year old vans are worth 50%+ of original value, you could argue a good case for saying 20% is a big discount for a couple of years - just another take on it !

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi Oldflemo,
The vat element of most things you buy including motorhomes has no bearing on the price you buy or sell something for , as everything is only worth what you can get for it, so if the MH you want cost x then do you want it for that price or not because it will only fetch what people will pay.
How sellers who are registered for vat deal with that element is of no consequent, though most dealers would pay vat on the profit element of the sale( the margin).
Probably not added anything new but I've had my say.
Etap

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As above the price of anything is what you can sell it for you can work out what sums you like but it will sell for the market value same for houses cars motorhomes anything. If you want to use your theory as a bargaing tool great but if I were selling it I would try to get the best possible price and I bet you will when you sell it on in the future. If new motorhomes went up by 50% would you sell yours secondhand for what you paid less depreciation.......of course not you would get what you could!!

David

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't see what difference it makes , you pay what you want to pay if the price of the van is more than you want to pay , hard luck , wether it's vat or what makes no difference unless you are vat registered and can draw it back.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back