Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Taunton. Somerset.
Funster No
MH
MH within 3 months.
Exp
Converted van. 5 yrs exploring.
At present my filler point is on the nearside of my M/H. At times this is unsuitable while on the continent. Is it possible (and expensive) to have a secondry filler point on both sides of my M/H?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have great fun reversing around in gas stations. Why pay for the privelege of taking that fun away ?

I m sure it is possible and positive it will be expensive !

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
When I went from gaslow to underslug I went to a deal of trouble having my auto gas filler on the same side as my fuel filler. Makes an enormous difference.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
It's all part of the fun and it confuses the Attendant 'cos they can't see whether the filler is in or out of the locker.

Save your money for something really important.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
When I went from gaslow to underslug I went to a deal of trouble having my auto gas filler on the same side as my fuel filler. Makes an enormous difference.

Dick
Ours are on the same side (left) so we can still cause mayhem.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Easier to turn the van around in the filling station than mess about with the gas hoses. By nearside (depends if you are LHD or RHD) do you mean Left hand side, as which is where mine is, never had a problem.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The simple answer is that it is possible and easy to do. The cost will (as always) depend on how easy it is to access your gas locker from the new filler location and therefore how long the job will take.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Easier to turn the van around in the filling station than mess about with the gas hoses. By nearside (depends if you are LHD or RHD) do you mean Left hand side, as which is where mine is, never had a problem.
No, nearside does not depend on where the steering wheel is but on which side of the road one drives in any given country.
I have LHD, so sit on the nearside in the UK but the offside in France.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bear in mind that if you do fit another fill point you'll have to place a 't' joint in to connect the 2 filler pipes to then to the single fill point on the bottle ... too many joints for my liking!

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Its all good... As Minxy Girl says theres a few more joints, but I think as long as you nip them up all ok... you will need a new filling point and a new long hose and a Tee piece. Remember there is only gas in the filling point when you fill cos the bottles have a one way fill valve at the bottle so as long as the filler hoses are not in the hab area ( which they won't be ) its all ok. Gasit sell the tee pieces and everything.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Its all good... As Minxy Girl says theres a few more joints, but I think as long as you nip them up all ok... you will need a new filling point and a new long hose and a Tee piece. Remember there is only gas in the filling point when you fill cos the bottles have a one way fill valve at the bottle so as long as the filler hoses are not in the hab area ( which they won't be ) its all ok. Gasit sell the tee pieces and everything.
I am guessing that there is a non return valve in the external fill point so there would be gas in the hose all the time, if not adding extra fill hose length/volume will increase the amount of gas available to blowback when the filler comes off and the gas in the filler hose will be liquid so great care should be taken against burns.

EDIT just checked gas-it site and they say NRV in fill point.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I am guessing that there is a non return valve in the external fill point so there would be gas in the hose all the time, if not adding extra fill hose length/volume will increase the amount of gas available to blowback when the filler comes off and the gas in the filler hose will be liquid so great care should be taken against burns.

Martin
I can't see how that would make any difference ... the filler will seal when the nozzle is removed so there shouldn't be any more blow back than with a single filler ... hose length shouldn't make any difference either ... the gas that escapes is just what's in the nozzle, not the pipes etc.

As for burns ... anyone doing a gas fill should always wear some long thick gloves/gauntlets for safety.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My filler is on the right hand side of the vehicle. I find that most gas pumps in the UK and Europe are on an island and so can be approached from either side. Had one on the N10 in France which was not, but I just turned around and came at it from the exit side.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I can't see how that would make any difference ... the filler will seal when the nozzle is removed so there shouldn't be any more blow back than with a single filler ... hose length shouldn't make any difference either ... the gas that escapes is just what's in the nozzle, not the pipes etc.

As for burns ... anyone doing a gas fill should always wear some long thick gloves/gauntlets for safety.

The comment "only gas in the fill point when you fill as there is a one way valve on the bottle" made me think that could only be the case without a one way valve at the fill point to vent the fill pipe, then I thought "well if there isn't a one way valve at the fill point what would be the scenario" hence the comment "if not" the same still applies if there were to be a malfunction in the one way valve at the fill point as there will be more liquid gas in the pipes to escape and cause problems.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The comment "only gas in the fill point when you fill as there is a one way valve on the bottle" made me think that could only be the case without a one way valve at the fill point to vent the fill pipe, then I thought "well if there isn't a one way valve at the fill point what would be the scenario" hence the comment "if not" the same still applies if there were to be a malfunction in the one way valve at the fill point as there will be more liquid gas in the pipes to escape and cause problems.

Martin
... I wasn't confused ... but now I'm befuddled! :D;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back