2nd battery - what cable and does it need a box? (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi all

I am re-fitting my leisure batteries to the new van. These are 2 x Platinum Sealed (S6110L) batteries that I have taken out of the old van.

One is going in the proper battery compartment and the other is going under an internal bench seat.
They are close together but to link them up the cables will need to go around some internal fittings so will need them about 24 inches long.

Can someone confirm what size cable I should use to join them together and do I need to put a fuses - if so what size and what fuse holder to fit the wire?

Also, in my last van the dealer had fitted the 2nd battery and just mounted it under a seat with two straps screwed to the floor and as I found out when I removed the battery last week, didn’t include an vent tube which I think there should have been.

Should I buy a proper battery box to put it in and if so how do you fasten that to the van floor so it doesn’t move around?

Any advice welcome
Richard

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Fitting the battery in a box would help ensure nothing metalic touches the terminals, but is not essential just better practice. I am not convince of the value of these vent tubes, so up to you. The cable should be no smaller than the cable connecting your first battery to the van systems. When the batteries are close fuses are not normal though in your case there may be a justification in placing fuses at each end of the cable

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Some batteries are sealed and the gas vents within like a balloon in the top of the battery and then reverts back later so no gas actually vents outside the battery. I have just bought two large Varta batteries that I understand work like this and I have installed them both under a bench seat with no venting. Venting only occurs if they are overcharged or if there is a charger or battery fault so it should not be a common occurrence if you have a modern multi stage charger. My B to B charger utilises temperature sensors for the batteries and alternator so should alert me if the battery is overheating due to overcharging. You would also be wise to have a gas sensor in the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back