Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
On an 03 swift Kon Tiki, are the 240v sockets on a ring circuit or are they each direct outlets (spurs) from the consumer unit? The reason i'm asking is because I want to add another socket if anybody has any words of wisdom :thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
If you undo the sockets you should be able to see what wiring enters the socket terminals, my guess not being a qualified electrician is if there are two sets of wires in all sockets ie two earths two pos, two neg, then it is probably a ring circuit, if only one set in each socket then spurs.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I've never yet come across a ring main in a motorhome, there really is no need as few will use more than one high powered piece of equiment in a motorhome at any given time and if you do there is a strong chance you'll blow the site trip and become everybody's favourite camper.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it will be a radial circuit.

starts at the fuse/breaker then to the first socket then first to second and so on until the last which is the end of the line and only has three wires.

if you really need to add a socket you can wire it one of two ways.

method one take one set of wires (blue (black), brown (red), green/yellow) from one of the existing and run them to the new socket then put in a replacement set from the new back to the old, or if the old socket only has three wires then add the new wires directly to that with no return......that maintains the radial circuit.

method two....take three wires to the new socket from any existing socket and thats it.....radial circuit with a spur.

radial circuit breaker should be 16amp....ring circuit breaker should be 32amp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
it will be a radial circuit.

starts at the fuse/breaker then to the first socket then first to second and so on until the last which is the end of the line and only has three wires.

if you really need to add a socket you can wire it one of two ways.

method one take one set of wires (blue (black), brown (red), green/yellow) from one of the existing and run them to the new socket then put in a replacement set from the new back to the old, or if the old socket only has three wires then add the new wires directly to that with no return......that maintains the radial circuit.

method two....take three wires to the new socket from any existing socket and thats it.....radial circuit with a spur.

radial circuit breaker should be 16amp....ring circuit breaker should be 32amp.

Thanks Pappajohn I'm going for method one, thus extending the length of the circuit if i'm understanding it right.
As for the circuit breakers I have 1 x10amp and 2 x6 amps, no sign of a 16 amp, is that not right?

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks Pappajohn I'm going for method one, thus extending the length of the circuit if i'm understanding it right.
As for the circuit breakers I have 1 x10amp and 2 x6 amps, no sign of a 16 amp, is that not right?

Yes that's normal

The main sockets will be on 10 amp, the fridge battery charger may be on one 6 amp with the battery charger and fridge on the other.

My advice is to test each circuit to find out which breaker it is on.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes the purpose of a ring main which is a British idea :ROFLMAO: is purely to increase the current carrying capacity of a power outlet circuit to 30 amp in old days, 32amp mcb today.
It serves no purpose whatsoever in a motor home where the maximum power supply is 16 amps in total for everything. most vans use 10 and 6 amp mcb's so a ring is pure folly and you should not encounter one.
You can either find the last socket in the radial where there will be just the one 3 core cable or double up at the circuit breaker. Obviously the cable used should be compatible with your original wiring which could be 1.5 or 2.5 depending on constructor.

It is not good practice to have three sets of cables at one point

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

sorry, yes it should be 10amps.....16amp is for a domestic installation. :Doh:

why 10a i have no idea....the wire will be 2.5mm and the sockets are standard 13a ones just the same as your house.

only reason i can think is limited hookup supply amps but most UK sites are 16amps anyway.

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
On an 03 swift Kon Tiki, are the 240v sockets on a ring circuit or are they each direct outlets (spurs) from the consumer unit? The reason i'm asking is because I want to add another socket if anybody has any words of wisdom :thumb:

If the socket has two cables its on a ring main if it has only one cable it's a spur:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If the socket has two cables its on a ring main if it has only one cable it's a spur:thumb:

Any socket along a radial will have two cables until you get to the last socket.
A spur is a fused outlet taken off a ring main,
A radial circuit is the correct description for motor homes and caravans

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the replies, although there are some different thoughts I think I have covered all bases. I have severed the cable before the first socket, behind the boiler out of the way. From one of the bare ends I have extended it to where I wanted the socket and from there it returns back to behind the boiler but on the other bare end.
In theory if its a radial circuit it is now longer, if it is a ring circuit it is now a bigger ring :thumb:.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Unless you have two cables at the circuit breaker and continuity between the disconnected ends then it cannot be a ring and as Dave and I said you will not find a van wired with a ring main.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back