240 volt sockets

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Shuismo, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Shuismo

Shuismo Funster

I would like to have an extra 240v socket added to my M/H and I have been quoted silly prices, what would anyone suggest to be a fair price?

2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Our sparky put two extra in for us - total cost £40 (y)

3. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Depends entirely how much work is involved.

Ease of gaining access to the back of the desired socket location and the length of the associated wiring run will significantly influence the cost.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rod_vw

rod_vw Funster

Find a good qualified electrician, get his advice on cable type and size and ask him if he will connect up both ends if you do the time consuming bit of running it in. I guess many electricians would be reluctant to start dismantling camper interiors but would be happy to connect and test if you install the cable. At a cost of course.

Rod

• Like Like x 2
  5. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

If you do get them done consider having the ones installed with USB sockets so you can charge phones etc. Really useful to have and not much different in price. We've just swapped 2 of ours for these.

ae235.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Go to an electrician, not a caravan / MH dealer - at least the sparks will be qualified ;)
    I'd suggest a price of £100 - 120 would be fair for one / two sockets

What have you been quoted ?

7. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Having just installed some of those in our house, I'd fully agree with using them in a MH - very handy to have the USB charging sockets, and keeps everything neat (y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

My guess is a big part might well be the 'matching' sockets for your specific MH, another rip off parts price possibly

It is only a guess but a double socket to match what you have could easily be £50 + VAT plus fitting, then the fitting will involve cutting into a cabinet presuming if it is a flush fitting, the have you chosen an area with no mains power already, that would make sense hence why you want one, the cable has to be routed sensibly

So a quote of £150 wouldn't surprise me

9. WillH

WillH Funster

Come on, how much was the quote?

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

as above, use sockets and trim to match the original fittings (£10-£15 each) otherwise it will look like a bodge job, devaluing your motorhome. Cable £1 per meter but the labour cost in stripping out trim and replacing is expensive. Labour £50 per hour is not expensive for a qualified electrician

11. xsparks

xsparks Funster

Clipsal skts are used in many vans and available on ebay.

12. Gcs

Gcs Funster

Exactly what i did, got all the matching sockets and routed the cables to them, ran the cables to a new rear view camera, and a couple of extra under dash USB sockets so i could hard wire the satnav & dash cam etc. Auto Electrician charged me 60 quid and did a bloody great job (and I'm really fussy:))

13. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

if matching sockets are horrendously expensive consider having the sockets hidden in a cupboard or locker price is going to depend on how far away from existing sockets or the main consumer unit

14. PeteH

PeteH Funster

A Tenner Each plus the cable (2.4 FT&E) 25 Quid for 50M.

Pete

• Like Like x 2
  15. Shuismo

Shuismo Funster

Thanks all,
    Better sit down, for three connections over £600, plus vat !!! I must look stupid, Don't answer that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Cilfan

Cilfan Funster

Jesus H, was he wearing a mask and waiving a flintlock pistol when he gave you the quote?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. WillH

WillH Funster

Mother of God! You should have put the Roller in the garage when he came round.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. busby

busby Funster

I just used an extension lead through the bed locker to front of the van where i needed it. Finished up with 2 sockets for £6 BUSBY.

19. WillH

WillH Funster

Like Busby above, we use an extension lead when required. Our van has three sockets as standard.

20. jamesvanbitz

jamesvanbitz Funster

looks like somebody didn't want the job potentially if its a straight forward job!!

However sometimes you need to look at the work involved.

We have had customers over the years that want sockets in locations where the labour involved can be incredibly time consuming.. We charge as an example £60.00 per hour including vat and where there is no socket to spur off and you are starting from scratch from your distribution board it could take just to run to one location when removing voids / paneling and feeding cabling behind, then the time involved with mounting and wiring could take a couple of hours and this can be just for the one socket? Then as you have suggested having 3 sockets potentially scattered around the motorhome so times that by three, then a flush mounted commonly used motorhome factory socket with the trim piece is priced around £20.00 plus the 3 core cabling charged per metre... You can see how it can escalate to what you think is an expensive quote? Anybody can run a cable across a motorhome and screw a surface mounted socket to a wall but of course we all want the factory look with nothing but a neat socket mounted to the wall in an convenient place..

It can just take time which is where the cost is involved not the £20 socket..

• Like Like x 1