240 volt 12 volt TV power question (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Is a LCD 12 volt TV run direct from the battery going to use much less power than an ordinary TV though an inventor.

I am guessing YES!

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
eeerrr Yes

The invertor is a much less efficient system and uses a lot of power even if nothing is plugged into the 240 v side

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
yes more economical because the inverter is not 100% efficient (anywhere between 70 and 95% actually). Therefore using up to 30% unnecessary power.
Or to put it another way the inverse ratio of the spondulicator is proportional to the square root of the pelgum bracket multiplied by reflective and reactive component of defractulator, unless the square of the capacitive inductance to modified thromb pin is greater than the inbuilt losses known as the GT factor.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
yes more economical because the inverter is not 100% efficient. so using unnecessary power.
Or to put it another way the inverse ratio of the spondulicator is proportional to the square root of the pelgum bracket multiplied by reflective and reactive component of defractulator, unless the square of the capacitive inductance to modified thomb pin is greater than the inbuilt losses known as the GT factor.

Guess i got it wrong

I thought it was all to do with the sprangle flange have a negative influx on the ohms driven dooburry :thumb: :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes more economical because the inverter is not 100% efficient (anywhere between 70 and 95% actually). Therefore using up to 30% unnecessary power.
Or to put it another way the inverse ratio of the spondulicator is proportional to the square root of the pelgum bracket multiplied by reflective and reactive component of defractulator, unless the square of the capacitive inductance to modified thromb pin is greater than the inbuilt losses known as the GT factor.

agreed Roger.....but the new breed of 12v tv's have a clakvalve in series with the capacitive inducer.....if its connected by the anode AND cathode to a 0v supply it cancels the GT effect and with the moded thromb pin works much more efficiently so a 12v 110ah battery will last, on average, 12 years without recharge.

S

Shubberdog

Deleted User
Be careful an LCD TV requires 12volts you very rarely get 12v. from a battery. Damage can occur over a period of time. :cry: I would sugest using a 12v./12v.regulated output power supply they can be found on ebay for about £40 ::bigsmile:

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
12v tv

Why over a period of time???????:Confused:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
If your tele also runs off 12v, it's probably got it's own inverter Road Runner.

I doubt if the difference is worth bothering with in terms of electricity used.
From my point of view, ferkling about with one gadget instead of two makes more sense.

If you are charging torch or toy batteries, 12v is the better option electrically and ferkling aboutly.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I bought a UMC Tv from Makro, it is the same as a few traders sell at the shows. They normally sell at the shows for around £200. Makro £130 inc VAT it is only 2.3 amps. It has a mains unit that drops the voltage to 12v dc. I use the mains when on hook up but other wise it is plugged into the cig lighter without a voltage stabiliser and so far no problems.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If your tele also runs off 12v, it's probably got it's own inverter Road Runner.

I doubt if the difference is worth bothering with in terms of electricity used.
From my point of view, ferkling about with one gadget instead of two makes more sense.

If you are charging torch or toy batteries, 12v is the better option electrically and ferkling aboutly.
A large number of domestic products reduce the 240V A/C to 12V DC, so one with a 12V input just removes the reducing stage, however LCD screens are prone to problems unless the supply is regulated, maplin supply a suitable regulated DC/DC power supply.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
agreed Roger.....but the new breed of 12v tv's have a clakvalve in series with the capacitive inducer.....if its connected by the anode AND cathode to a 0v supply it cancels the GT effect and with the moded thromb pin works much more efficiently so a 12v 110ah battery will last, on average, 12 years without recharge.
Sorry John cannot believe that you forgot to factor the internal losses of the battery.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
12v reg

Here's a question!

I'm like lots of others run my TV directly from 12volts when not hooked up,
Bush TV/DVD/FREEVIEW 240v-12v adapter £135
Link Removed Argos returns etc worth a look

is there any form of regulation from your mains / fused / control unit when your TV is plugged into the habitation 12v sockets.

i can understand if you used crocodile clips straight to the back of the telly but as other 12v electronics are ran from your battery surely they are all regulated.

my lunar motorhome manual is 6 pages of photo copied A4 for 7 year old . No technical data
may Google the control unit

S

Shubberdog

Deleted User
Why over a period of time???????
Your TV is designed to work from its power supply ie.12v. The voltage from your battery will be about 12.8v this slight over voltage will not cause it to suddenly go bang but will over time degrade the LCDs (picture) until eventually it will be un-watchable. The problem is made worse if you are charging the battery at the same time i.e. running the engine or using solar panels as the voltage will be even higher :Doh:

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
Just remembered that i fitted a diode well over a year ago to the 12v lead supplying power to my Pace sky box.
The info can be found Product Information::bigsmile:
i have used this cheap mod on my sky box with no problems
will also do the 12v lead to my New Tv

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Just remembered that i fitted a diode well over a year ago to the 12v lead supplying power to my Pace sky box.
The info can be found Product Information::bigsmile:
i have used this cheap mod on my sky box with no problems
will also do the 12v lead to my New Tv
Not quite sure what you think a diode does, in fact it prevents current passing in one direction, it will also drop voltage across it the amount depending on the type of diode.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Wilman is quite correct diodes are not voltage regulators, if you wish to protect sensitive equipment whilst using battery as a supply.

This is what you will need [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amperor-LCD-Volt-Stabiliser-Regulator/dp/B000ZLRXG8"]click here[/ame]

Regards

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

I imagine that TVs sold for the leisure business are more likely to have regulators than those sold in supermarkets etc, which are mainly intended for household use.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I imagine that TVs sold for the leisure business are more likely to have regulators than those sold in supermarkets etc, which are mainly intended for household use.

Hi Oldun
You imagine correctly, if you look at the specs of 12vdc 'leisure' TVs they can tolerate voltages from - 5% to + 10% they are also (allegedly) built more robustly and able to better withstand the rigours of travelling .. that said, they cost a lot more.. :Sad:

T

The Meerkat

Deleted User
Is a LCD 12 volt TV run direct from the battery going to use much less power than an ordinary TV though an inventor.

I am guessing YES!

Definately yes, because with the inverter you are going DC>AC>DC, where whens its direct off the battery its going DC>DC, if you havent got a 12v power lead try here from Amperor as thats where I got mine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back