240 volt 12 volt TV power question

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Road Runner, May 8, 2009.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Is a LCD 12 volt TV run direct from the battery going to use much less power than an ordinary TV though an inventor.

I am guessing YES!

2. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

eeerrr Yes

The invertor is a much less efficient system and uses a lot of power even if nothing is plugged into the 240 v side

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

yes more economical because the inverter is not 100% efficient (anywhere between 70 and 95% actually). Therefore using up to 30% unnecessary power.
    Or to put it another way the inverse ratio of the spondulicator is proportional to the square root of the pelgum bracket multiplied by reflective and reactive component of defractulator, unless the square of the capacitive inductance to modified thromb pin is greater than the inbuilt losses known as the GT factor.
    :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Guess i got it wrong

I thought it was all to do with the sprangle flange have a negative influx on the ohms driven dooburry :thumb: :Rofl1:

5. June and Mike

June and Mike Read Only Funster

have u been googling wildman:Laughing:

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

agreed Roger.....but the new breed of 12v tv's have a clakvalve in series with the capacitive inducer.....if its connected by the anode AND cathode to a 0v supply it cancels the GT effect and with the moded thromb pin works much more efficiently so a 12v 110ah battery will last, on average, 12 years without recharge.

7. Shubberdog

Shubberdog Deleted User

Be careful an LCD TV requires 12volts you very rarely get 12v. from a battery. Damage can occur over a period of time. :cry: I would sugest using a 12v./12v.regulated output power supply they can be found on ebay for about £40 :BigGrin:

8. mulaz

mulaz Read Only Funster

12v tv

Why over a period of time???????:Confused:

9. 45eEver

45eEver Read Only Funster

If your tele also runs off 12v, it's probably got it's own inverter Road Runner.

I doubt if the difference is worth bothering with in terms of electricity used.
    From my point of view, ferkling about with one gadget instead of two makes more sense.

If you are charging torch or toy batteries, 12v is the better option electrically and ferkling aboutly.

10. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I bought a UMC Tv from Makro, it is the same as a few traders sell at the shows. They normally sell at the shows for around £200. Makro £130 inc VAT it is only 2.3 amps. It has a mains unit that drops the voltage to 12v dc. I use the mains when on hook up but other wise it is plugged into the cig lighter without a voltage stabiliser and so far no problems.

11. Wildman

A large number of domestic products reduce the 240V A/C to 12V DC, so one with a 12V input just removes the reducing stage, however LCD screens are prone to problems unless the supply is regulated, maplin supply a suitable regulated DC/DC power supply.

12. Wildman

No need I went to college.

13. Wildman

Sorry John cannot believe that you forgot to factor the internal losses of the battery.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

14. mulaz

mulaz Read Only Funster

12v reg

Here's a question!

I'm like lots of others run my TV directly from 12volts when not hooked up,
    Bush TV/DVD/FREEVIEW 240v-12v adapter £135
    Clearance Bargains - hundreds of bargains available every day! Argos returns etc worth a look

is there any form of regulation from your mains / fused / control unit when your TV is plugged into the habitation 12v sockets.

i can understand if you used crocodile clips straight to the back of the telly but as other 12v electronics are ran from your battery surely they are all regulated.

my lunar motorhome manual is 6 pages of photo copied A4 for 7 year old . No technical data
    may Google the control unit

15. Shubberdog

Shubberdog Deleted User

Your TV is designed to work from its power supply ie.12v. The voltage from your battery will be about 12.8v this slight over voltage will not cause it to suddenly go bang but will over time degrade the LCDs (picture) until eventually it will be un-watchable. The problem is made worse if you are charging the battery at the same time i.e. running the engine or using solar panels as the voltage will be even higher :Doh:

16. mulaz

mulaz Read Only Funster

Just remembered that i fitted a diode well over a year ago to the 12v lead supplying power to my Pace sky box.
    The info can be found Product Information:BigGrin:
    i have used this cheap mod on my sky box with no problems
    will also do the 12v lead to my New Tv

17. Wildman

Not quite sure what you think a diode does, in fact it prevents current passing in one direction, it will also drop voltage across it the amount depending on the type of diode.

18. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Wilman is quite correct diodes are not voltage regulators, if you wish to protect sensitive equipment whilst using battery as a supply.

This is what you will need [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amperor-LCD-Volt-Stabiliser-Regulator/dp/B000ZLRXG8"]click here[/ame]

Regards

19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

[​IMG] Oh well !!!!!! i guess i missed college that day...:BigGrin:

[​IMG]

20. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

I imagine that TVs sold for the leisure business are more likely to have regulators than those sold in supermarkets etc, which are mainly intended for household use.