240 V socket

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by gordoncbrown, Jan 6, 2013.

1. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Hi, I am looking to put a 240v socket outside, the same type as the hook up cable. I remember seeing a kit that had everythin that was needed in it. All that you had to do was drill a hole in the wall and wire in to the back of an existing socket. I have tried several searches without any luck. Does anyone know where to get one or reccomend an alternative.

Thanks

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The information you need is probably on This Thread from a couple of months ago.

AFAIK the regulations state that only a qualified electrician can wire in an outdoor socket permanently but it is OK to terminate the cable with a normal household plug and use an existing socket (best to use a plug in RCD though).

3. aba

aba

4. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Hi Gordon ,I did the very same thiny myself about a month ago.I bought an ip66 outdoor waterproof socket from eBay which I fixed on the outside wall of my house roughly in line with a socket on the wall inside .
    I then simply cut the plug and flex of an broken outdoor appliance,drilled a hole through the wall,leaving the plug next to the socket fed the cable through the hole, cut to size and wired into outdoor socket.When I want the outdoor socket to have power I simply insert the plug inside and flick the switch!No need to get into removing sockets and wiring in,and all fully legal. If done this way no need for an electrician.
    The inside socket eliminates the need for a plug in rcd as this should be covered back at the fuse box.I just went for a normal outside socket so as I could use it for other things,then made up a lead to go to van.Dont forget to vase sealant to seal hole
    Regards vlad

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  5. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

6. aba

aba

oops miss read what you actually wanted.
    as an alternative to a permanent fixed socket and having to have an electrician fit it for you get one of those 13amp plug to the hook up socket and take the 13 plug off it drill the hole through your wall near the socket feed the cable through and refit the plug.

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Even when using an outdoor electric appliance (such as hedge trimmer) isn't it still recommended to use an RCD device in the socket? Or am I out of date.:Blush:

As for installing an external socket, if you do this, make sure you have a way of securing your cable to stop it being nicked! We use an adapted hook-up cable with a standard 3-pin 'household' socket on one end with the lead fed outside the garage to the motorhome over the corner of the door frame which has a nice little gap, just right to let it through without squashing it, that way the only way that someone could nick it would be to cut it ... and electrocute themselves in the process hopefully!!!! :Rofl1:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Certainly recommended with a cutting device and it definitely does no harm with anything else :BigGrin: