2014 - MOROCCO .. All posts here now please.. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
We have had all our booster jabs ready. Andrew do not worry about Typhoid only drink water that has been turned into beer!!!!:thumb:. I do not think there is a shortage of the Typhoid/Hepititus combined which is what we had.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We've had our boosters, waiting for typhoid vaccine as according to our Doctors surgery there is a nationwide shortage. :RollEyes:

No shortage in Cannock !!! Had mine this afternoon, over in seconds...
I was so brave..::bigsmile:

Better than about 10 years ago when I nearly fainted and Irene had to drive me home :Doh:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Tonka, any particular jabs, any recommended, I had forgotten about that. :whatthe:
Hi Carol,
The info you have had is probably quite accurate but I suggest, if you are taking out travel/sickness insurance, check if they have in requirements or recommendations attached to the cover.
Hope to see you in Morocco

Regards, Bryan & Anna

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
No shortage in Cannock !!! Had mine this afternoon, over in seconds...
I was so brave..::bigsmile:

Better than about 10 years ago when I nearly fainted and Irene had to drive me home :Doh:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We have had all our booster jabs ready. Andrew do not worry about Typhoid only drink water that has been turned into beer!!!!:thumb:. I do not think there is a shortage of the Typhoid/Hepititus combined which is what we had.

You mean my doctors surgery is telling a porky :cry::cry::cry: It in the Mail so it must be true HERE

Hope you two are going to be OK with your old injections :Eeek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
£354 one way which lets us be flexible on the return route.

Hands up all who think that expensive !!

Calais to Bilbao is 746 miles. That's £200 fuel alone. Plus new French tolls. So for £154 you get a night in a nice bed and two or three days less driving. Not a bad deal.

After much debate Santander is booked for the beginning of Feb. It's risk the roads in Feb or risk the sea. The sea means, maybe, talking kwells and let the captain worry, against me fighting for two or three days.

There is no "right" answer, I've jumped off the fence this way.

After arriving at 17:30 and a local stop, Aranjuez, Torre del Mar and Algeciras.

Yippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :roflmto:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Over the past week or so I have ploughed my way through the entire Morocco 2013 thread, for no other reason than to remind myself of the fabulous time we had. As our planning for Morocco 2014 gets off the ground it also served to remind me of a number of issues/places to see, what to buy and what stuff needs replacing and what should be dumped..
Anybody planning for the trip, and who hasn't already read the thread should really give it a go...... it contains a wealth of information

Regards, Bryan

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have been thinking about fitting Gasflow so we can keep our gas topped up, how easy is it to get LPG in Morocco, (I have tried trawling through last years thread but I am now going cross eyed) :Eeek: any comments. does anyone have Gasflow fitted. thanks.

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
We have been thinking about fitting Gasflow so we can keep our gas topped up, how easy is it to get LPG in Morocco, (I have tried trawling through last years thread but I am now going cross eyed) :Eeek: any comments. does anyone have Gasflow fitted. thanks.

Carol, fitting a refilllable gas system is not complicated, and there are other systems out there that are as good if not better than the Gaslow option. I have a Gas-it system that I fitted, and Alugas is another option, both cheaper than Gaslow.

Adaptors are available for different countries, so it is worth checking if Morocco is one of them.

Stuart

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no auto gas in morocco. you may find a gas works will fill any bottle but forget gaslow etc . in spain get a spanish bottle about 10-25euro off the gas delivery trucks . the exchange is cheaper than auto gas .
in morocco about a tenner should get you a full bottle inc the deposit and about 45 dirham exchange . so 4-4.5 quid a bottle .

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

No LPG in Morocco, those who had it filled up at Algerciras before they left.. Gas is cheap over there and in Spain you can buy and use a Spanish bottle.. That's how I do it..

Watch out.. !! Suggy "the gas man" will be here in a bit.. :Doh: :ROFLMAO:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017

Don't bother getting Gaslow or any of the alternatives Carol if you're just getting it for Morocco as you can't get LPG in morocco!
However, if you d have Gaslow you will find that a Morocco gas bottle fits on the end of a Gaslow hose without any adapters. Last year I just removed one of the Gaslow bottles from the gas locker and got a cheap Moroccan gas bootle to put in its place. Just fitted the Gaslow hose on the Moroccan bottle and we were in business! So I had one Gaslow bottle and one Moroccan bottle.
As Tonka says, the Moroccan gas bottles are unbelievably cheap.
I've still got the Moroccan bottle and I will be putting it in the locker and connecting it up before we leave home this time. It will save me lugging a Gaslow cylinder around in the garage.

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Parking at Lidl

Morning Morocco Campers

Having emailed 'Carlos' regarding the price of a Ferry in Jan 2014 - open return two people + motorhome and have been quoted €200.00. If we had a 'group' it might be worth asking for a further reduction near the time.

I have also been informed (not confirmed) you can no longer park (if over 2.5t) and stay overnight outside Lidl or Carrefour car park. :Eeek: When questioned about this I was sent a pdf file (unable to upload after compression, sorry) which gives directions to parking at Mercadona. For those who have been there it is pass Leroy Merlin and opposite The Factory - far end of where we parked previously. :cry:

36.185436,-5.437817 - I think.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have been thinking about fitting Gasflow so we can keep our gas topped up

It's excellent.

Most places except Morocco.

The real beauty is half filling a tank and at lower cost.

And of course Eddie could fix one in half an hour.

Arnica

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
Bolton le Sands Carnforth
Funster No
MH
Geist Touring 652 C Class
Exp
Nine years
Mid January crossing

Morning Morocco Campers

Having emailed 'Carlos' regarding the price of a Ferry in Jan 2014 - open return two people + motorhome and have been quoted €200.00. If we had a 'group' it might be worth asking for a further reduction near the time.

I have also been informed (not confirmed) you can no longer park (if over 2.5t) and stay overnight outside Lidl or Carrefour car park. :Eeek: When questioned about this I was sent a pdf file (unable to upload after compression, sorry) which gives directions to parking at Mercadona. For those who have been there it is pass Leroy Merlin and opposite The Factory - far end of where we parked previously. :cry:

36.185436,-5.437817 - I think.

Having had the Hip Hop, ready to give it a blast this coming winter. Would be glad to swell the numbers for a block booking mid January and save a bob or three.

Keep up the good work Andrew/Tonka :thumb:

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Having had the Hip Hop, ready to give it a blast this coming winter. Would be glad to swell the numbers for a block booking mid January and save a bob or three.

Keep up the good work Andrew/Tonka :thumb:

Cor Blimey... Where you pair been !!! :winky:
Hope you are well, even with the op..
Follow the thread and maybe we will see you there....:thumb:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
lpg in morocco

Hi there, no chance of getting LPG in Morocco,if you are going to fit refillables,just fit one,as otherwise you will find you will be carrying a full one with you that never gets used and takes up essential space,weight etc,keep topping that one up at every opportunity thru' France and especially Spain top it up in soutern Spain at latest opportunity,i.e del sol,then as soon as you arrive in Morocco head for Asilah and buy a 13kg butane bas cylinder,cost usually approx.145dirhams incl. cylinder deposit and gas!(about£12)refill exchange approx 43dirhams(£3.45)aren't we gettin ripped of in GB,refills available in just about every village/shop in Morocco.stick with this system and you'll have no problems getting gas,"Camping gaz 907"cylinders are available everywhere in Morocco for 85 PENCE exchange if you don't have a cylinder to start with the whole deal i.e 907 cylinder depositand gas for just £5.buy ALL your drinking water unless you have a strong stomach or are
VERY mean/foolish and DON'T break speed limits,time might have stood still
in all things Morocco but DEFINITELY NOT where radar speed guns are concerned and they are NOT IN short supply and you WILL PAY THE FINE
reguardless what others tell you,believe me,that said go for it, and enjoy me you'll see us en route,we are in a Auto-Trail A-class leaving Dover 2/1/14.
hope this helps.:thumb:

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Well fingers crossed I will soon be the proud owner of a Hymer S550, so all being well, we will be getting the boat to Spain just after Xmas and joining the Morocco trail. I would go before and miss Christmas completely, but the 11 year old is having non of it! ::bigsmile: Excited? Oh Yes!!!

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Morocco

Possibly not allowed to ask this question? Thinking of a non-motorhome holiday in Morocco in February for some winter sun. Been to Marrakesh and Agadir but would like somewhere different. Any suggestions? Would like decent hotels and something to see and do.

Or is there a Canary Island or part of Spain (not Benidorm) with guaranteed sunshine.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. if you have done morocco a bit then try gambia .
they speak english as it was british . great place . try for sena gambia . hotels great . trips out are ok . i have been there in hotels and took a camper through there . love it .

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Morocco

Looked up the Gambia and liked what I read until I read the gov advice website and it sounds as if it could be a little unsafe. Haven't ruled it out though as I don't mind living a little dangerously. Thanks again for the suggestion.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if it was easier to drive there and it was not so far away i would go there every winter . have thought about an apartment but like being in my space .but for a short trip .some real nice beaches ans surf . we went right up the river both sides . its full of history . slave trade etc .

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
hi. if you have done morocco a bit then try gambia .
they speak english as it was british . great place . try for sena gambia . hotels great . trips out are ok . i have been there in hotels and took a camper through there . love it .

I have a Norwegian friend who has driven his 35 year old Volvo bus conversion down to the Gambia every year for the last ten years. His partner is English and they used to over winter in Spain, but after spending one winter in Morocco decided to head further south one year. They drive back to Norway every summer for two months then back to the Gambia. They love it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats not the bus that as a vw t4 in the back is it . ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
thats not the bus that as a vw t4 in the back is it . ?

No VW back on it. Maybe you know Thorsen and Francis. They have a big Rotty dog and the bus last time I saw it was painted a sandy beige colour. Its about 38 ft long with a garage in the back completely full with a huge fuel tank. He built the bus himself as he is a joiner by trade.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant say i do . there was one had a vw camper inside the garage .
anyway i remember lammin lodge in gambia and the zoo .its worse than quazarzats zoo. but its a very interesting place , big fishing villages with smoked or dried fish places on t6he beaches . i did a talk there once about sewage and septic tanks on behalf of world health organization . thats how i had the hotel . but a real friendly place . bit like how maroc was twenty years asgo , mind probably alot more modern now . they already had quads and suzuki jeeps to take you anywhere . paradise beach there as real white sand .

when we were in the vw we parked on beaches or in the towns . the crossing from senegal was horrendous . much better on the south crossing back into senegal .
gambia is surrounded by senegal.

crizatuk

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
IOW
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 Full timing
Re

So Tonka how many you got going up to now?

Still mulling it over???? :Doh:

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
So Tonka how many you got going up to now?

Still mulling it over???? :Doh:

I have no idea.. Not running a list as such, now that so many of us have been before and seem to be going again, It's maybe more a case of see how many newbies there are and try and match these up with others who have been and willing to help take people over..
Trying to re-create the original trip, I think, wont have the same feel. 15 vans in convoy and arriving at tolls and campsites was NOT the best way to travel, not so bad when we were down to smaller groups..

Some new adventure awaits.. I can only state my plans at present..
Leave UK around 8th Jan via Calais and then it will either be into Benidorm for a couple of days or straight down to Bella vista.. Cross to Morocco from the 15th onwards....:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi there, no chance of getting LPG in Morocco,if you are going to fit refillables,just fit one,as otherwise you will find you will be carrying a full one with you that never gets used and takes up essential space,weight etc,keep topping that one up at every opportunity thru' France and especially Spain top it up in soutern Spain at latest opportunity,i.e del sol,then as soon as you arrive in Morocco head for Asilah and buy a 13kg butane bas cylinder,cost usually approx.145dirhams incl. cylinder deposit and gas!(about£12)refill exchange approx 43dirhams(£3.45)aren't we gettin ripped of in GB,refills available in just about every village/shop in Morocco.stick with this system and you'll have no problems getting gas,"Camping gaz 907"cylinders are available everywhere in Morocco for 85 PENCE exchange if you don't have a cylinder to start with the whole deal i.e 907 cylinder depositand gas for just £5.buy ALL your drinking water unless you have a strong stomach or are
VERY mean/foolish and DON'T break speed limits,time might have stood still
in all things Morocco but DEFINITELY NOT where radar speed guns are concerned and they are NOT IN short supply and you WILL PAY THE FINE
reguardless what others tell you,believe me,that said go for it, and enjoy me you'll see us en route,we are in a Auto-Trail A-class leaving Dover 2/1/14.
hope this helps.:thumb:

Thank you lots of good information, just wondering if we will need a Morocco regulator to fit the Moroccan gas bottles and if so can they be purchased when we get the gas.
See you are leaving UK Dover 2/1/14 that is the date we are thinking of going just waiting on the code from the NEC. :Smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back