2013 Ducato Headlight Bulb Changing

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by John Laidler, Jan 9, 2014.

1. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

While idling looking under the bonnet of our van this week I wondered how easy it would be to change a headlight bulb. I used to have a car where you had to remove the battery to change one of the bulbs but at first glance the Ducato is in a league of its own.

I bought a workshop manual on CD off E-Bay for £3.00 or thereabouts but when I looked on it all it said about headlight bulbs was a diagram showing you twisted them anti-clockwise! Not a lot of use when you can't even reach them, particularly the one on the right (drivers') side.

Looking on a Fiat forum for 2005 models and earlier you remove the headlights themselves first, after removing a bit of bodywork above the radiator. Does anyone know if this is how you do it on later models? I also had a look on YouTube but no luck there either.

It's a van conversion, 2013.

2. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

modern headlight bulbs can be a nightmare to change cant they . quite a number of cars need to have the complete front bumper removed before you can even get at the bolts for the headlight unit . makes a mockery of european laws that insist you carry a spare bulb kit for emergency use doesnt it !!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Allanm

Allanm Funster

If its the same as a 2013 Peugeot Boxer headlamp, then you have to remove the offside headlight, but it is quite easy.
    If I remember correctly, with the bonnet up, you will see crosshead screws holding the top plastic cover (2) and the bottom trim (1). Take these out and carefully pop the trim off. Both pieces are held by clips, I used a long wide screwdriver to slide under the trim to release the clips, go carefully, the trim is bendy but must break at some point. Then, you can see the screws/bolts that hold the headlamp in place. Once these are out, the headlamp pops out. Make sure the clip at the back is in place properly when you put it back.

I found out how to do this because my offside headlamp wasn't located at the back properly from new!

[​IMG]

Allan

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Allan, that looks just like mine. I'll have a look tomorrow morning. Many thanks.
    John

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I've removed the top cover, discovering in the process the water drain by the windscreen wiper was blocked. Now unblocked.

[​IMG]

I can see the screw to remove but the bottom bit of trim is proving more difficult.

[​IMG]

After removing the screw shown the bit of trim is proving reluctant to come off. I got the top one off with a flat screw driver slid along the edge. Does the bottom one come off the same way? I am reluctant to use to much force.

6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

You just need to be firm but careful with it. I used a large long bladed screwdriver to free up the first catch. It is quite firm so a bit of levering is required. The second one comes off pretty easily, then the two at the end will need some careful jemmying, but you will have plenty of room by then.
    Heres a couple of pictures, you will see what you are up against. Good luck.

[​IMG]

and the back view of the trim.

[​IMG]

Allan

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Allan, that's really helpful. I can see now where it is being held and with a long bladed screwdriver I should be able to get them off.

It's a bit like all the skill being in where to hit something not in the actual hitting. In this case the skill is where to pull or "rive" as they call it where I come from.

• Like Like x 1
  8. milpol1

milpol1 Read Only Funster

Headlights

Allanm............I note that you have tape on the front of the lamps to deflect when in european and those bits of tape look as though they are enclosed ina marked box, are these marks already on the headlights? I have the same headlights on my Boxer

Thanks Dave

9. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Dave, I can see from the pics that Allanm has the headlamp protectors fitted .... these usually come with the marked area to stick the tape.

You should not stick tape directly on to the plastic headlamps as the heat will cause damage.

Brian

10. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Correct, give that man a coconut..... :clap:

I bought them because I thought that I could just leave the tape on the protectors and clip them on when we go abroad and unclip them when we come back.
    Its not as simple as that though, you need to take the plastic covers off from below and above the headlight first, as John is doing now. So, I leave them on all the time.

Allan

• Like Like x 3
  11. milpol1

milpol1 Read Only Funster

Thanks for that, headlamp protectors it is then

Dave

• Like Like x 2
  12. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

As an aside to this, I'm trying to get some better bulbs for my Ducato as I'm not impressed with the lighting power. What codes are the bulbs? H1 & H7 seems to be what I can find on-line. Is that correct ?

(MH is in storage, so it's not that simple to just have a look and check!)

:thanks:

13. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

Sorted I think, they're H4 bulbs the twin filament ones. Lets hope the ones I've ordered are better than the originals

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Not in my van. They are H1 and H7 single filament bulbs.

15. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

:Doh: Looks like I might have to send mine back then . . . :cry:

Which one is the dipped beam - the H7?

16. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I have a spare set in the van for travel abroad, I got them from Halfords. Mine are pretty bright, but I'd be interested in getting some more powerful dipped beam bulbs too, let us know what you eventually get and if there is any improvement.
    Allan

17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

On my van the dipped bulbs are the outer ones and they have the larger H7 bulbs.

I've seen 100W Xenon bulbs for sale but these take nearly twice the current so this could well cause problems with wiring and switches. I would also be careful taking stronger bulbs outside the UK, your dipped beam is not going to be well controlled and could dazzle. There is an entire website devoted to the problem here in the UK. http://www.blindedbixenon.co.uk

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  18. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

I'm sticking with the power output of the original bulbs, but AutoExpress have tested bulbs recently and 'Osram Night Breaker Unlimited' came out on top, so thats what I have. H7's turned up today (which I got for the Saab originally!), so I might get some H1's locally and then send the H4s back when they appear

19. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Same here, H1 for main beams.

Allan

20. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We generally take the van abroad for extended trips twice a year, spring and late summer. So we fit the plastic lens covers with the masking tape in the spring and only remove them when we come back to the UK early autumn, just as the nights are drawing in and the MOT is due. :Wink:

Oh, and yes, fitting and removing the protective covers is a bit of a faff, but I manage to do it by only removing the top plastic cover, and remove the screw, but not the whole trim below the headlight. Seems to work for me.

Handy guidance and photos here:

http://deepredmotorhome.com/headlampdeflectors.php

:thumb:

Mike