2006(56) Hymer B544SL plumbing and vehicle light problems (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Over the past year I have been having to bleed the air out of the pipe work several times per trip, as opposed to just once on arrival. Then last week whilst in France, the kitchen sink tap failed to start the pump completely. I took it apart and found the wiring had come out of the tiny sender unit within the tap and couldn't fix it, so have now ordered a replacement (assuming they have them) from the SW Hymer dealer. I have also ordered a new pump. Even if not needed now, it will come in handy as a spare.the bathroom sink and shower taps still start the pump by the way.

The second problem relates to what appears to be an intermittent connection problem within the rear nearside indicator unit. It will work for ages then suddenly pack in. Taking it apart and doing no more than tweaking the connectors works for a while. So I have ordered two of these too. I only need one now but am betting the other will follow its mate soon! Has anyone else had similar problems?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the repeated having to purge air could mean 2 things. 1 you have a minor leak 2 and more likely the non return valve has stuck part open allowing water in the pipes to drain back to the tank

the intermittent failure of the indicator suggests a dodgy earth connector. by pulling out the light, the cable gets tweaked and partly remakes. It needs attention and likely having seen a few that a better earthing point be established on the chassis with a new cable

the wire from the tap is actually a microswitch which is fiddly but can usually be repaired without a new tap being needed

OP
OP
HymerB544
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Jim and the Big1. I'll have a look at eBay and will definitely check the rest of the wiring and earth connections around the light clusters. I am pretty sure I don't have any leaks in the van but had thought some sort of non-return valve problem might be what was causing it. Is it possible to fix this myself, do you know? And apologies for my bad description of the tap problem, I did know it was a a micros witch. That's the bit which the wiring had come out of. Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
HymerB544
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
An update. Got the new (complete unit) rear indicator and switched it for the old one. All working fine now. Got the new microswitch and that was an easy job too, and it is good to have a working sink tap again........makes washing up (one of my jobs unless I am BBQ-ing) so much easier. Also got the new water pump and I will be fitting that when we take the van over to Mother Iveys Bay this weekend.thanks for all you advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
HymerB544
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A final update. We are at Mother Iver's Bay site near Padstow this weekend so when we arrived I drained the fresh tank, disconnected and removed the old water pump, fitted the new one (needed crimped connectors but I had some anyway) and refilled the tank, then put back the pump fuse I'd taken out as a precaution. Filling the tank took longer than the job itself! And now the water flows like the Moehne after the dambusters hit it. Thanks for the tips, everyone, especially Jim.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back