2006 2.8 JTD Burstner Elegance Clutch Replacement In Kent?

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by Jimbost, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Jimbost

Jimbost Read Only Funster

We have managed to get nearly 28,000 miles out on the clutch on our Elegance I821. The clutch pedal is now right at the top of its travel. No slip but I feel it will go soon. Timing belt is also due so also need all associated items replaced while it is apart, belt, bearing water pump etc. Can any suggest or recommend a garage within a reasonable distance of the Medway Towns (Rochester Kent) to complete all the work?

Jimbo and Kim

2. orridge

orridge Funster

you could try Choose leisure in Canterbury we brought our Eura Mobile from them and have had some maintenance work done also.

• Like Like x 1
  3. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

You could try Thomsett's at Stockbury, just off A249 (Detling Hill). We've had both our MHs serviced and repaired there and they've been good.

Denise

• Like Like x 1
  4. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

28000 is no age for a clutch

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jimbost

Thank you for pointing out your opinion. If you check online you will find that for an almost 5 ton vehicle its pretty well just above the average for Type. For a van conversion I agree that would be quite a low mileage. I refer back to the original posting of this thread and hopefully someone will post a meaningful, helpful reply. Thank you again for your reply but would suggest that it would be more helpful to me to actually post something that would help me find the information that I am seeking.

Regards Jim

6. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

All depends on the driver, keeps workshops making dough though I suppose :think:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jimbost

Thank you to Orridge and Denise I will Google them and give them a ring. Want to get it done soon as we are away to France in early April. Looked at the date today and thought I had better get busy sorting it out. :)

Jimbo

8. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Well what ever you say. But I have driven trucks, vans, coaches and the like up to 60 tons and if i only gave my boss 28,000 I don't think he would be happy. I drove for about 40 years ( now retired) as far as Bagdad a few times. I think what he said about no miles is a fair comment. I would have made a similar comment as mitzimad. But I hope you get your problem sorted. I do hope you don't think I am trying to wind you up because I am not.:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

I personally thought the reply somewhat rude and uncalled for.but then what does my opinion matteras I probably misconstrued the response to mitzimad.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jimbost

From what I have read the Fiat Ducato clutch is a weak point when married to the Alko tag axle type chassis as the weight and the Tag axel push the clutch to its limits. I would hope that as the vehicles you were driving were designed for the purpose intended you would expect a long life of the drive train components. No offense taken or implied Just after the facts.
    Please note that I have not said the clutch had failed but just reached the top end of its travel with no slip. It may well go on for thousands of miles but after 20 0dd years as a plant and heavy vehicle mechanic the signs are there pointing to a possible failure in the near future. I am not one to leave it to chance so the opportunity to replace it is here along with a major service.

Jimbo

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Yes I do understand how it could have been read that way. I just thought, that I would just say that what he said was fair comment, maybe not said in the best way......but i am also prone to do that. So if I did I apologise :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Good point. I now understand your thoughts better (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Ducato clutches work "strange"..... They actually pull the pressure plate instead of pushing (compressing) the pressure plate.
    I have sold vans to a particular individual for years, 1 of which was a ducato and we fitted 2 clutches in it before 100k. I have never fitted clutches to any other types he had.
    So the OP probably States a valid concern.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Thank goodness I didn't buy one of them! I think they need rich owners!

• Like Like x 1
  15. jaygee

jaygee Funster

There are many reports of early clutch replacement on ducato 2.8jtd due to weight issues,I have replaced mine after 20000 miles, its no bigger than a mondeo clutch and being 4.5 tonn on a tag axle is hardly fit for the purpose. On the smaller models its not too much of an issue.
    If you then have an ecu up grade you are asking for trouble.
    Cannot help with your request for a repairer but when my clutch was removed it was only 50% worn and was slipping under very heavy load, it could have lasted a lot longer but didnt want to chance it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

If the clutch isn't slipping then it doesn't need replacing. A 2006 Ducato has a hydraulic clutch and the "bite point" is always toward the top of the pedal travel. If it ain't broke don't fix it. About 3 years ago I thought I felt the clutch slipping a bit on my Iveco camper (bear in mind its a 4.2 Tonne GVW, actual weight all up is just over 3.5 Tonnes but it spends most of its life pulling a trailer with either a 1000KG car on it or a 850KG exhibition box). guess what, I still haven't replaced the clutch and it still shows no signs of slipping. Even if it does start to slip on a long jaunt careful driving should enable you to return home or at least get to a garage that can fix it. In over 1 million miles of driving I've only killed one clutch and that was deliberate!

Also on the 2.8 the water pump isn't driven by the cam belt so if it fails it won't write the lump off (well unless you ignore the temperature gauge of course) but it is behind the belt so if the water pump subsequently fails the whole lot has to be stripped down to change the pump.

D.

• Like Like x 2
  17. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Just seen your other reply and to be honest if you've spent 20 years as a plant mechanic why not do it yourself?

D.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

So is my 3.0 litre doing well pulling over 4 ton with no clutch pedal and hence no user error, heading for 45 k? Should I expect a sudden failure?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jimbost

There is a valid reason and I wish I could do the things I was once able to do. I do what I can. I have to bow to your experience of Motorhomes Dave and respect your advice but the prospect of being stuck somewhere remote worries me. I know 'it could' last longer and a new clutch may well not be required for the reasons you state.
    I have also travelled many miles in both Europe and the Americas in many different kinds of vehicles with light and heavy trailers. These are memories of the past and do not reflect my present situation.

Jimbo

• Like Like x 2
  20. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I with you on that one.......all the things I could do......once upon a time, long, long ago! :)(y)

• Like Like x 2