LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I am thinking of changing the radio in the van so that we can play mp3 files when on the continent.

One of the things I think I will need to do is change the ariel but I can't find where the existing one is. That is if it exists at all as we often lose the signal.

Any suggestions where it may be and what I should replace it with.

Thanks

Lunarman

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I have a later 2009 fiat Ducato and the ariel I am told is is the passenger side mirror (RHD)
Which is a lot more expensive to replace than the drivers mirror.

Though its still rubbish reception mostly :)

barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Soon as you find out, tell us! as I have the same problem! Reception is crap and only works if the engine is running!

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Fiat put them either on the roof or in the mirror, but the converter (lunar?) could put it somewhere else, so its very hard to say.

I would recommend an external aerial, probably on LHS front wing.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Check your TV aerial booster - many of the Staus types have two outputs and a switch - one for tv one for radio. By running an aerial lead and adaptor from here to the vehicle stereo you can gain a much better/perfect reception - even if the aerial is not up or switched on. As long as it is attached, the aerial wil receive the signal - it's up on the roof anyway, so make use of it if you can!

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
2002 ducato on right front wing the reception is still the same as all others c***

Rob

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
ive got what seems to be,, a stuck on one on the winscreen ,,it takes 12 volt from the radio its black plastic about 3 inches long and 1 wide ,,its great ,no probs with any station ???? i bought a ipod/mp3 tuner,just tune it into radio ,,i think 20 squid but a lot less hassel to work,,as any one will know if they have tryed to get the dash apart on a ducato to get to the radio :cry::cry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My van is a Miller ( SAE subsidiary ) .. All the buggers did was remove th eaerial and leave the wire !

When I first got the van I fitted an on screen jobby.. but in all honesty it was far from great .

I ended up going to Halfrauds and buying a standard roof mount one and mounted it on the side of the wing..
About 300% better than it ever was ! :)

Just a tip often forgotten when fitting a radio aerial
Apart from the obvious work to be done ( as in drilling a hole and feeding the coax through ) do not forget to ensure the metal BEHIND the hole is cleaned off and bare.

A car aerial works by using the actual vehicle as part of the system.
If the mount has not got a good earth then the aerial will hardly work at all ( and be a magnet for all sorts of interference ! )

Once you have fitted the aerial and all is tightened up, spray the inside with some primer of similar to seal it all back up again and prevent rusting ( just spray over everything, the area, and the inside of the aerial mount )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back