2005 Ducato jump lead attachement.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Trikeman, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

I always keep (but have never needed) a set of jump leads in the van, should I or someone else gets stuck. Whilst putting them in the locker ready for our upcoming jaunts I thought I'd have a quick look where I would put them in the event where I did need them..........

Where the hell do you put the positive lead on a 2005 2.8 JTD Fiat Ducato?????? The positive on the battery is buried way back yonder and covered by loads of bits and bobs - hideous.

Any photos of where the positive can be connected? Knowing Fiat (bless them) it's remote but hidden from everyone all bar a technician that would fleece me...:Angry:

Regards,

Trikeman. :Wink:

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

from memory theres an insulated terminal near the radiator. unclip the cover to use but be careful not to short anything from it to earth

3. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Pretty sure there isn't one. The jump terminal appeared on the X250
    This was only because the starter battery is not in the engine bay but under the cab floor
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Be VERY CAREFUL if you ever offer to give someone's vehicle a jump start - you can do SERIOUS DAMAGE to your OWN vehicle's CPU if you do ... even if you do it correctly! :Eek!:

We were told this by an AA man last year who came to get the next door neighbour's car going as her battery had gone totally flat, fortunately he arrived before hubby had a chance to get our jump leads out so we avoided any problems, but the chap said it is very common for someone to fry their own vehicle's electrics by doing so! :Eeek:

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

yes, the ecu can be spiked but if the ign is off on the 'invalid' car when connected and the 'doner' car is run for 5 or 10 minutes to put some charge in the dead battery before attempting a start then all should be fine.

Its the sudden power surge from the doner car into a flat battery while the ign is on which causes the damage.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I've had this problem in the past Kev,if yours is the same as mine you can unclip the offending cluster over the positive lug.
    It is awkward as there still remains a bundle of wires you have to manhandle out the way.An easy solution to this is to fit a Spare tail off the positive to aid any jump starts in the future.

Vlad

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we have a Mercedes so this may not help, but we needed a jump start and had to call the RAC, our battery is under the floor so I wondered where the connection would be made

On our engine we have a red and black plastic round disc that both push back to leave a pillar, I would never have thought to look or even know what they were till I saw them used

You might be as lucky on your Fiat hopefully

8. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

I have the same set up as you I think, and yes there is a common positive 'rail' under a plastic cover. Be very carful as there is little room.
    And as has been said above and others NOT a good idea anyway because of the damage it can do. Due to the (back emf) when putting on, or more so taking off the leads.
    Steve

9. Trikeman

Hi Vlad,
    cracking idea - will be onto it tomorrow. Thanks to everyone else too - why can't vans be like the good old days, I just had a look in the handbook and it is full of 'don't do this, as this could happen - don't do that as this could go', etc etc etc.........
    :Angry:
    It looks like the only safe way (should you ever be stuck with a flat battery) is to connect up and build the charge up.

Regards,

10. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I park my van at the side of the house with its arse nearest the road.Cant get another vehicle close enough to jump it,if I have any trouble I disconnect the battery from my work van carry it to the front of MH connect jump leads to tail and hey presto.
    No running engine,alternator,power spikes, simple :thumb:

Vlad

11. Trikeman

[​IMG]

:Laughing: