Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
We are looking for a Owners or service manual info for a 2001 313 cdi Sprinter. The veh we have bought is in Tasmania but has no written service history but has been serviced every 10k Kilometres from the present owner for last 8 years.

We do not know if any timing belt/chain has been chainged so require a service schedule.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I don't think there is a standard swap interval for the timing/crankshaft chain. It's a pretty sturdy item and I think is meant to last the life of the engine.

Stand at the front when you start it from cold. If there is a noticeable metallic rattle from the chain cover area, it could be an indication of timing chain or tensioner wear.
Note also though that the rubber belt tensioner and pulleys can wear and this needs a replacement set and belt - that's the rubber belt system that drives the alternator, pump and air-con etc. I had ours done last year (OM612 2.7 litre engine) - the symptom was a slight rattling on tick-over that persisted when the engine was warm.

Last edited:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi D U ,as Jean luck says, you have a timing chain so no need to worry, ours have a double link chain and is the same motor as yours 5 cylinder 3 litre and we have covered 375000km and still going strong,but if you have concerns give Mercedes a call and ask there advice,so happy travels,regards Alf.

OP
OP
Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Hi D U ,as Jean luck says, you have a timing chain so no need to worry, ours have a double link chain and is the same motor as yours 5 cylinder 3 litre and we have covered 375000km and still going strong,but if you have concerns give Mercedes a call and ask there advice,so happy travels,regards Alf.

Thanks
It has 208000km so if its chain then as long as we keep up with the 10k km oil/filter changes we should be fine.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
sorry.

Started to post then realised my advice already given by @Jean-luc .

Good luck.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
I don't think there is a standard swap interval for the timing/crankshaft chain. It's a pretty sturdy item and I think is meant to last the life of the engine.

Stand at the front when you start it from cold. If there is a noticeable metallic rattle from the chain cover area, it could be an indication of timing chain or tensioner wear.
Note also though that the rubber belt tensioner and pulleys can wear and this needs a replacement set and belt - that's the rubber belt system that drives the alternator, pump and air-con etc. I had ours done last year (OM612 2.7 litre engine) - the symptom was a slight rattling on tick-over that persisted when the engine was warm.

The sprinter is a 2.2 according to the details.

unimog

Free Member
May 11, 2014
In the doghouse
Funster No
MH
Mercedes unimog 1300L
Exp
2 years
Great motor I have a 2004 4x4 Hayes manual is a bit basic but this site is very useful Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back