20 year old hymer fire problem (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
hi all ,went away in our hymer a few week ago ,only ever used the fire on 2 as its been warm enough ,though was bit colder so turned up to 4,now this was fine for some time but all of a sudden we got a bit of an explosion and the cowl blew off ,i can only think that the fire needs a service , and that it was ok on setting 2 as it was burning all the gas that passed through but by turning to 4 setting it didnt burn all the extra gas ,and sent it up the flue with the burnt gas ,and lpg being heavier than air i reckon it fell back to the burner and ignited the excess gas,i think the burner needs a good clean ,i am gas safe registered with lpg ,but after some advice ,the burner looks to come out from underneath the hymer is this correct ?and if so how does it come out ,any help appreciated , and any further advice on why it accured or your views on my thoughts appreciated,the gas bottle was also near empty when this happened but that shouldnt of affected it in this way

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Which Hymer is it?

Which heater?

Do you have a "double" Truma/Carver heater... (photo?)

If it is a double section heater could it be only one of the burners ignited properly and the second let a bit of gas through which didn't ignite at first.

I was told by Truma I could access the burners from underneath my Hymer 660 but found it easier to take the whole thing out from "upstairs".

I'll see if I can dig up the photos...

JJ :cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it sounds to me like the wind blew the flame out and there was a lag in the thermocouple allowing gas the come through and reignite. But then you are the gas engineer, if it is the same as mine a carver heater the burner does drop out under the floor.
or as JJ said.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You have done most of the work already!

Careful easing the flexible pipe off (mine had an orange coloured O ring making the gas seal).

A few screws holding the heater to the floor...

Lift it up and there is the burner etc...

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back