Free Member
May 10, 2012
Godalming UK
Funster No
MH
Borrowed
Exp
Hello All

We are taking a campervan trip to France in July/August for 2 weeks. The only thing booked so far is the cross channel ferry to Dunkirk.

I'll be travelling with my wife (7-8 months pregnant by then) and 2 children 3 and 6yrs. We are all more than happy with the outdoors life and are looking forward to a laid back adventure without planning too much. Although I am well aware that a few plans make the whole trip alot more enjoyable.
Confession: We don’t own a split-screen VW – we’re borrowing the mother-in-law’s FIAT (fix it again toni?!)

One objective is to make it to Lake Annecy for 3 or 4 nights before making the journey back.

I'd love people's suggestions on the following:

1. Chilled out campsites en-route to Annecy from Dunkirk taking in the Champagne region and Loire valley.

2. Any advice/tips on these farms and vineyards I’ve heard about that offer free overnight parking in return for buying their wares.

3. I've hears about 'Aires' but is it allowed to 'freedom camp'?

4. Spacious quietish campsites on Lake Annecy – do we need to book.

5. Any not too commercial fun activities/location for kids (and dads) like swimming in rivers/lakes, horse riding, canals, boat trips, cycling (we are taking bikes).

6. General tips for campervanning with kids (they are very used to tent camping). My wife and I spent 6 months camping around NZ and Australia before #1 came along.

7. If we’re not in a rush, is it nicer to use the non-toll roads to travel?

8. Do we need to book for the time of year we’re going (21st July until 3rd August)?

9. How well will my beer stay cold in the on-board fridge?

Thanks in advance - Simon

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I hope your trip will be nice and quiet .... but just in case..... something happens ... or even more...If someone shows up earlier than expected ... I would suggest you to add to your"must do list" this : " Liste des maternités et services de néonatologie en France " Make a search with google and print it .... you never know! It's obviously the 3rd baby to come so it will be even quicker to come ::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi there is a great aire at La Balme de Sillingy,not far from lake annecy, lovely park area for kids or just walking ,fishing etc also a bar with music cant remember cost I think it wasabout 7 euros. Terry

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We try not to use toll roads as much as possible, obviously cuts down the travelling costs and you see so much more. You pass supermarkets so the fuel is cheaper and of course pass lots of boulangeries so you can always stop for a croissant or cake!. You may also pass some aires or municipal sites you like the look of.

If there is a particular site you want to use though I would advise booking it at that time of year as it is the French school holidays as well.

Enjoy. :thumb:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years

**4. Spacious quietish campsites on Lake Annecy – do we need to book.**

There are plenty of campsite on Lake Annecy but none of them will be spacious or quiet - especially in August. We were here in August and lots of them were full so would reccomend to book if you can.
We stayed on the Municipal campsite which was good but basic, you might want more i.e. pool etc for your children.

Pleanty if Aires in France, many quite central to towns.
Loire Valley very nice and loads of Aires & campsites along side.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sensible advice from Yodeli--be prepared but don't worry too much.
Have your Health Cards to hand (and any private insurance you may have)
If labour starts call 112 and ask for SAMU (sam-oo) Give your location and say "ma femme est encente. Le bebe arrive. Vite" (My wife is pregnant, the baby is coming. Quick) Don't be afraid to call on a French motorhomer for help on the phone--I've found people really helpful and kind.

Maternity services in France are excellent, no one I know who's given birth here has had anything other than praise.

Enjoy your holiday.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
9. How well will my beer stay cold in the on-board fridge?

You might think about putting a bottle of Champagne on ice as well - just in case!

:france::france::france:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Just a thought... would the baby be french if it was born in France and have a french passport?

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Your children are British citizens only. You do not acquire French citizenship at birth if you are born in France unless at least one parent was born in France:

:france::france::france:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back