2 stroke oil added to diesel is it a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I seem to remember in my teens the trend was adding castor oil to your two stroke so it smelled like you were running Castrol R racing oil:)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Okay I vote to guinea pig it.

For every negative thread there is a positive,
Remember that these engines are used all over the world not just in ultra green Europe. The quality of fuel between here and France varies so what must the difference between here and Africa be

So true when riding across Tibet fuel was poured from rusty barrels outside someone's house and it looked like milk. The bike rattled and pinked like a pig but kept running with no lasting damage.
If I was only getting 17 mpg I'd be looking for anything to increase it, reminds me of the bad old RV owning days.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I seem to remember in my teens the trend was adding castor oil to your two stroke so it smelled like you were running Castrol R racing oil:)
Castrol R what a evocative smell, proper race bike smell

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Another amazing thread, people worried about the cost of fuel and looking around for the cheapest place to buy it from.
Then they pay extra for some two stroke oil to add to the fuel..

Hahahaha, are you all mad, Petrol companies have spent millions in man hours, testing and never ending research to find the ultimate blend of fuels.
The old days of adding Kerosene or Petrol to Diesels in winter are long gone.
Sit back and enjoy your driving, with todays advancement in engineering tolerances, advanced lubricants and fuels the average modern engine should now be capable of covering more then a million miles without failure.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
As I said I tried it & don't bother now. But to say your con rods are going to bend is a bit dramatic, 300ml to 80lts of fuel is not going to bend con rods. Friends of ours got a lad that hoones a old pug 205 around the fields running only on waste oil from our local garage & nothing else, bugger to start when its cold & smokes!! Its the injector side of things that is quieter
I was not saying that the oil will bend the con rods but if the timing is too advanced because of it, it becomes a possibility. You obviously understand the ratios of mixtures but some people have a tendency to add a bit more to get more and then things go wrong.
The main point to my comments was that modern engines are very technically advanced and cannot cope with fuel that is not en590 as the injection system tolerances are far tighter than they used to be.
As said earlier the 1.7 Vauxhall is able to run on almost anything and yes early Peugeots are also fairly immune.
What does amaze me is why anyone wants to p*** about with their Moho engines when the whole point of having one is to ensure it is reliable and to get to the next destination.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Okay I vote to guinea pig it.

For every negative thread there is a positive,
Remember that these engines are used all over the world not just in ultra green Europe. The quality of fuel between here and France varies so what must the difference between here and Africa be
As well as the fuel quality being different around the world, some manufacturers do fit different spec engines for the market they are sold in. BMW and Landrover to name a couple and the differences even includes the metal that the liners are made of.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Been down this road before on the forum. I use "supermarket" fuel period - works for me. Why waste time adding this and that. Do you not think that the fuel companies would have tested adding this and that................. If it is not broken - don't fix it................

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In emergency situations I have stuck all sorts in my diesel tanks over the years.. from cooking oil to ... well you name it.

2T is merely an upper cylinder lubricant.. and at the ratio's quoted will almost certainly do little or no harm.
However.........
Some of the claimed figures can only be viewed askance .. And the cost of decent mineral oil 2T would mean an over all saving of very very little..
In the words of the dragons.. I'me out.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I would not do it to a modern diesel engine ,I used to put vegetable oil into my diesel in an old 1995 shogun ,it smelled like a chip shop but ran with no problems ,the diesel that you buy at the pump has vegetable oil in it ,mainly palm oil ,hence the increase in deforestation in Asia ,when Mr van diesel originally conceived of his engine his intention was that it would free poor country's from having to use petroleum based products , the early diesels could run on just about any oil

Anyhow I would not put anything into the diesel , thinning it will cause excess wear to the engine

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As well as the fuel quality being different around the world, some manufacturers do fit different spec engines for the market they are sold in. BMW and Landrover to name a couple and the differences even includes the metal that the liners are made of.
Yes, and the infamous Nikasil liners that Jaguar and BMW used in the 1990's are testament to getting it wrong. Higher sulphur levels simply destroyed them........ (Says he looking for an XJ8 for Rust2Rome......:doh:)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I would not do it to a modern diesel engine ,I used to put vegetable oil into my diesel in an old 1995 shogun ,it smelled like a chip shop but ran with no problems ,the diesel that you buy at the pump has vegetable oil in it ,mainly palm oil ,hence the increase in deforestation in Asia ,when Mr van diesel originally conceived of his engine his intention was that it would free poor country's from having to use petroleum based products , the early diesels could run on just about any oil

Anyhow I would not put anything into the diesel , thinning it will cause excess wear to the engine
True, but just to clarify.... The palm oil needs to be treated before it becomes a biodiesel component, known in the industry as RME. Current EU regs call for 5% bio product in the diesel oil, which is actually a good thing as it is a decent lubricant for the engine, effectively replacing the sulphur which previously lubricated, or indeed expensive lubricity improver. No worries about lubrication from European fuels - it all has to pass the lubricity test using the HFRR (basically a vibrating rig - measure the wear scars after a certain time)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
In emergency situations I have stuck all sorts in my diesel tanks over the years.. from cooking oil to ... well you name it.

2T is merely an upper cylinder lubricant.. and at the ratio's quoted will almost certainly do little or no harm.
However.........
Some of the claimed figures can only be viewed askance .. And the cost of decent mineral oil 2T would mean an over all saving of very very little..
In the words of the dragons.. I'me out.
Hi John, it just occurred to me that if it is an upper cylinder lubricant then if 2T is anything like marine upper cylinder oil, it will be extremely alkaline which could have an adverse effect. Maybe not so much as marine engines (every marine diesel about about 3000 HP is a 2 stroke) burn fuel with a higher sulphur level

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You are right.. after all, pretty much every globally aware ( sic ! ) country has pretty much banned new 2T engines now as they are so anti-green ...
Of course in its TRUE application it lubes the mains, big ends and small ends, but in a 4T or diesel lump the only thing it does is upper cylinder and maybe valve stem lube

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a by the by, I noticed some garages in Germany are now ONLY selling unleaded with 10% Ethanol in it.. I would rather use chip fat in a diesel than Bio in a petrol engine.. Unless the thing is built to use E10 it can cause all manner of gumming up.. bloody stuff is a nightmare !

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
As a by the by, I noticed some garages in Germany are now ONLY selling unleaded with 10% Ethanol in it.. I would rather use chip fat in a diesel than Bio in a petrol engine.. Unless the thing is built to use E10 it can cause all manner of gumming up.. bloody stuff is a nightmare !

You ought to take a look at the carbs on my 50cc outboard motor ,I have to strip them down and have them ultrasonically bathed to clear the build up that ethanol leaves
those ratios will ake it worse

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tell me about it.. Who in their right mind would WANT to put fermented apple juice in their engine !

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Whoever decided that ethanol should be added to vehicle fuel needs their bumps feeling. It is very aggressive towards fuel lines and paint used in lining fuel tanks, fetching the paint off in great lumps and turning it into something resembling wallpaper paste. And what's more it is more expensive to produce and is environmentally unsound.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Whoever decided that ethanol should be added to vehicle fuel needs their bumps feeling. It is very aggressive towards fuel lines and paint used in lining fuel tanks, fetching the paint off in great lumps and turning it into something resembling wallpaper paste. And what's more it is more expensive to produce and is environmentally unsound.
Plus it dissolves cork and certain rubbers and a propensity to suspend water so causing corrosion in float chambers and fuel pumps, if I could avoid using the stuff I would!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back