Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We often hire kayaks on holiday for an afternoon or day and I've been thinking of getting an inflatable 2-man kayak big enough to also take 2 small cairn terriers. I know a few funsters have them so thought I'd ask what you have and what you'd suggest to buy or if anyone has one for sale.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
We have a Sea Eagle inflatable Kayak, pretty expensive but love it, had it 3 years and use it when we can, it has a skeg which makes it pretty controllable, wouldn't like to be in a kayak without one.
IMG_7315.JPG

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I quite fancy one as well Allan but wondered how stable an inflatable one would be, coupled with the fact I didn't learn to swim until I was 40 and I'm not sure it's a good idea, I'm not a natural in the water unfortunately but do like the idea of kayaking on a Loch up in Scotland when we go there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
@Allan & Loren I know nothing about kayak but bought a Viamare kayak 330 last year with plans to do a bit in the lakes . I took it out of the box and inflated it looks pretty good quality but that's as far as it got its not seen any water! . There is one for sale on eBay for over Ā£300 I will sell mine for a lot less pm if you are interested .

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Not heard of Sea Eagle, does look good, I'll have a look @Granjan thanks. Don't want to spend a fortune and what's a skeg?

@Dave K I think some are more stable than others which is why I thought I ask for help.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
@Allan & Loren I know nothing about kayak but bought a Viamare kayak 330 last year with plans to do a bit in the lakes . I took it out of the box and inflated it looks pretty good quality but that's as far as it got its not seen any water! . There is one for sale on eBay for over Ā£300 I will sell mine for a lot less pm if you are interested .
I'll look now and let you know, you're local too!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You get what you pay for with inflatable kayaks/canoes.

Having had various types of inflatable I wouldn't have anything except a Gumotex one for the ease of looking after it, no bladders inside covers to mess about with and try to dry, and as Gumotex ones are inflated to a higher pressure they are more 'rigid' in use and IMV feel more secure/safe.

A couple of threads on the subject but there are quite a few more if you want to do a search:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/opinions-on-this-inflatable-canoe.134164/#post-1935380

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/kayaks.120991/#post-1668157

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just one thing to consider too, we used to have a 2 seater one but found out that it was a pain in the end trying to decide who was paddling which side/when etc so we got 2 singles instead ... no more rows and if I want to go out but hubby's happy to stay at the camper I can without trying to struggle with a large kayak on my.

We used to have a Gumotex Palava and took 3 dogs in it ... 2 smaller ones at the front and the heffalump in the middle (trying to turn round as you can see!!)

canoe.jpg

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Just one thing to consider too, we used to have a 2 seater one but found out that it was a pain in the end trying to decide who was paddling which side/when etc so we got 2 singles instead ... no more rows and if I want to go out but hubby's happy to stay at the camper I can without trying to struggle with a large kayak on my.

We used to have a Gumotex Palava and took 3 dogs in it ... 2 smaller ones at the front and the heffalump in the middle (trying to turn round as you can see!!)

View attachment 154497

I'd be worried about the dogs claws puncturing it, I guess they must be made of decent stuff?
I just know one of my Labs would be trying to get in and out of the water

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
You get what you pay for with inflatable kayaks/canoes.

Having had various types of inflatable I wouldn't have anything except a Gumotex one for the ease of looking after it, no bladders inside covers to mess about with and try to dry, and as Gumotex ones are inflated to a higher pressure they are more 'rigid' in use and IMV feel more secure/safe.

A couple of threads on the subject but there are quite a few more if you want to do a search:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/opinions-on-this-inflatable-canoe.134164/#post-1935380

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/kayaks.120991/#post-1668157
As an owner of a Sevylor Hudson (which is pretty good), I'd also recommend buying a Gumotex.
They're better in every way, except the price...

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I'd be worried about the dogs claws puncturing it, I guess they must be made of decent stuff?
we've taken ours on sit on kayaks and they are just happy to sit and watch the ducks, etc. One of our cairns loves swimming but the other is to precious to get wet haha

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a Gumotex palava as well as I don't like the seated Kayak position.

If anybody is free August 10th onwards for a few days you could come along to Shrewsbury for a bit of messing about in the water, and if enough people bring their own canoes and kayaks we can make it a "come and try it"

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...-on-the-river-shrewsbury.145387/#post-2179025

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Gumotex are VERY tough, our dogs scramble over ours all the time and our Lily (little brown one) loves jumping off one and swimming to the other, then doing it again, and again, and again. :rolleyes:

Images below show our Gumotex Twist single seaters:

kayak 1.jpg
kayak 2.jpg
kayak 3.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just one thing to think of ... you will get a wet bum no matter how careful you are but you can lessen it by getting a self-inflating seat pad/cushion like the below and sitting on it, as it also raises you up a little bit it makes paddling a bit easier, and of course you can use it if you have a picnic (with or without the kayak!) example of what I mean below:

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
@funflair I'll check our diary and see if we can make the rally and let you know. Don't know why I've not spotted it before, flower show, messing about on the water and funsters ..... What's not to like!

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Just one thing to think of ... you will get a wet bum no matter how careful you are but you can lessen it by getting a self-inflating seat pad/cushion like the below and sitting on it, as it also raises you up a little bit it makes paddling a bit easier, and of course you can use it if you have a picnic (with or without the kayak!) example of what I mean below:

s-l1600.jpg

We have a 45kg and a 25kg Labrador, I guess I'll need an outboard motor :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl my two love sitting like yours do but as I said no jumping off, one too old and one too woosie!!
The first 2 are Tazzy the wuss ... she does NOT like getting wet but would happily perch on the front of our Gumotex Helios 1 kayaks (which we had previously), Lily on the other hand liked to be a dare devil and stand up doing a 'kayak surf'!

G1T.jpg
G2T.jpg
G1L.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back