2" hitch receiver.

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by Bryan, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

When the hitch is referred to as a 2" hitch, is the measurement the internal or external measurement of the "tube"?

Bryan

2. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

Hi Bryan I would say that it is the external measurment of the square slide in tube

[​IMG]

Regards Pat

3. monaco

monaco Read Only Funster

2'' Hitch

The square box of the hitch is 2'' but the americans also use 2'' ball couplings
    euro couplings are 50mm . 1mm differance

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

now thats a very good point....

the ball will need changing for a 50mm euro ball unless you are using a US 'A' frame of course.:Doh:

2" = 50.8mm so the cup will be too tight unless the ball is well worn.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Never had any problems with mine and I've had two different trailers ( both new), now have an A frame.. I don't think the hitch and ball are manufactured to such tight tolerances..

The ball wasn't worn, I fitted it brand new..

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  6. monaco

monaco Read Only Funster

Hitch

Hi all
    it is very easy to see the differance between 50mm and 2''
    the 50mm has a flat top to the ball and the 2'' has not

the picture a the preavious post is 50mm

regards

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Thanks for that,

just checked mine and it's flat, 50mm so explains mine fitting ok , I thought mine was a yank ball .. :Doh:

I'll get me 'at :Blush:

8. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

never mind the one at the back what about this one on the front?what is it used for?:Rofl1::Rofl1:

9. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

Thanks for the replies...but the ball bit does not interest me :Wink:

So do american RV's generally have a 2" hitch, not a 2" receiver? In other words, the bit that slides 'in' is the bit that measures 2" across - not the 'hole' that is on the RV?

10. davejen

davejen Funster

I think that the size refers to the ball in either case
    Regards, Dave:thumb:

11. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

Not sure if this is a serious question but here goes, the ball hitch on the front of a vehicle is usually used to manoeuver caravans and trailers more easily instead of having to reverse, you quite often see landrovers on residential parks with tow balls on the front bumpers there are sometimes two, with an extra one off centre to the nearside so the driver can see along the side of whatever he is moving into position!

Regards Pat

12. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

i thought it was for launching boats down slipways,guessing

13. olley

olley Funster

Hi the ball on the front is incase you break down and need towing, a lot of yanks have low fronts meaning that any towbar will snag it.

Olley

14. monaco

monaco Read Only Funster

Hitch

Hi again
    you are right in that the bar that slides in is 2'' and the bit it slides into is

called a 2'' reciever. sorry if I complecated things.

the post with the ball on the front is that most american A frames have

the 2 point fixing on the tow vehicle and the single point on the towed

vehicle. ( 3 point linkage but backward to ours )

regards

15. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

That's a new one me Olley. I've seen a number of coaches towed, but never with a front-mounted ball. I doubt you'd find a ball with a high enough rating to tow most class A motorhomes. The popular 2" ball is rated for up 3500 pounds with a 3/4" shank or 6,000 pounds with a 1" shank. A 2-5/16" diameter ball is rated for 6000 pounds with a 1" shank or 6-10,000 pounds with a 1-1/4' shank. Over 10,000 lbs the hardware changes dramatically.

Typically, you'll see a class A motorhome having either the front or rear lifted off the ground for towing. It won't be just "snagged by any towbar". The towing/recovery vehicle will be something like this.

Some folks who tow boats behind their coach will sometimes have a front mounted ball because they think it's easier to launch the boat. I've towed boats behind motorhomes for years and have yet to have any problems launching the boat reversing down a launch ramp.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
  16. olley

olley Funster

Hi TJ only telling you what one of the ARV members told me when I asked him why he had one fitted on the front. He could have been winding me up but sounded serious.

Breakdown trucks over here aren't geared up for RV's like in the states. Over most lorries have tow pin on the front, and if they can't be towed they are pulled on to a lowloader, most lowloaders have ramps which are to steep for an RV, your bum scrapes on the ground. :BigGrin:

Olley

17. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

I reckon these guys could handle RV recovery

18. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I would'nt let one of those beasties near my RV:Eeek: underlift towing would almost certainly pop your screen out and twist the bells out of a chassis with fibre glass walls great for lorries and suchbut i would insist on one of these low loaders
    And as for the front tow balls Luggnut was closest, the fad started many moons ago when 99% of tow vehicles were rear wheel drive, and a front mounted tow ball allowed the user to launch his boat whilst keeping the drive wheels well out of the water and slippery moss that grew on slipways:thumb:

[​IMG]

19. olley

olley Funster

Hi Geo so your saying that people fit tow balls to the front of their 35' RV's so they can roll down a slippery slip to pull or push a boat in the water............................emm not sure your right their. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Olley

20. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Absolutely a resounding yes, were not talking rowing boats here mate 25foot plus cruisers
    but not always Olley, sometimes they use them to pull out folk who reversed there boat in and cant drive out:Doh::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    I fitted one to the front bumper of my air cooled VW for just that reason, I only launched backward once and nearly lost the motor as well as the boat, the drive wheels just spun on the weeds, next time out my drive wheels were 16 foot from the water:thumb:
    I dont know what experiance you have of launching from a trailor on a slipway but you need to totaly submerge the trailor to float the boat and to do that the towing vehicle wheels are often fully under water too:Eeek:
    I would love to see your alternative and reverse an RV down a slipway:cry::cry::cry:
    Geo