2.8td Fiat Cant Have It Remapped ???????? (1 Viewer)

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
hi everyone ive been away from here for a while excuse this but ,caravanning.now bought a lovely fiat based autotrail tag axle on a 2000 plate.so off i went today all excited about a remap and flying home with a new lease of power.however they told me that although she was registered as a 2000 the chassis is a 1998 and the engine has a pump and no ecu.horror of horrors do any of you fine gentleman and ladies know if an ecu can be fitted to an earlier engine so i can get it remapped?
Many thanks.
The Friar

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
It sounds like you have the 2.8Tid engine, as far as I'm aware a remap isn't possible.

I did have a 1998 2.5tdi (very similar) bottom line is they're older diesels and never going to behave like a modern common rail engine (but still loads better than non turbo predecessors)

I have read about people having their fuel pumps modified or changing the gear ratios to give a better final drive.

I'm not au fait with it all, so can't help much more I'm afraid !

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi friar. Your pump is most probably a mechanically driven rotary distributor pump which is Purley mechanical with no prospect of been able to re map in that sense. .. A good diesel injection shop may be able to alter some pump settings to give a bit more power...
Some of these type of pumps did later have some electronic controls added and did have an ecu to control the pump but it was still basically mechanical with electronic control over timing and quantity of fuel injected..don't know whether anything can be done with them...If that's what you have.
Ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Think there is a place called diesil Bob . You can send your pump there to be wound up to give more power.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I seem to remember someone on here having their injectors worked on with good results.Sorry just checked and it was on motorhome facts, someone called Murphey.

OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
thanks for the reply's im thinking that winding up the pump just means less mpg,whereas ive had 4 mercedes vitos remapped with increased power and no loss in fuel consumption.is it possible to convert the engine like changing a carburetor petrol engine to fuel injection i wonder.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks ivory i just gave them a call and spoke to Bob very helpful it would appear that some gains are to be had but not like a re map he also gives no guarantee of improved economy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back