2.8 JTD Ducato 2006 - Flat battery & Immobiliser (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Our 2.8 JTD Ducato has stood for 3 months with only 2 short journeys in that time.

A couple of days ago went to start and nothing except warning lights. Checked battery and was flat at 12.3v. Charged battery used a second battery to add a jump from. Warning lamps perfoming as they should, fuel pump was running but nothing except 2 very quite click/cluncks but they only happened the one time.

The click/clunk was not the starter solenoid as too quiet so I thought relay but don't think there is one in the starter circuit.

My next thought is if the battery was low for say 4-6 weeks, would this set the immobiliser on i.e. not to start, is this possible?

I left mechanicking just as computers were being fitted as standard and not had too much interest in keeping up much of what they do so feel a bit lost in that area.

Any help thankfully recieved

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Maybe a stuck starter bendix cog--

Put in 5th gear and rock van ,that would free it, try that?

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Had something similar on my previous MH and it was the CAL5 fuse down by the pos terminal in the battery compartment. I am not good at mechanicy things but it could be worth a check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks both.

The ground it stands on is gravelled on top of soil, the tyres are ever so slightly indented so couldn't move it on my own, but have a strong friend arriving late this afternoon, here's hoping or I'll take the starter off.

Like the fuse idea, what type of fuse is a CAL5?

Thanks again, need to use the van tomorrow!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
The immobiliser is indicated by a padlock symbol on the left of the dash.
This should light when ignition is turned on & then go out, if it stays on then it wont start.
Usually this can be reset by locking/ wait 10 seconds/unlocking a couple of times.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi sounds similar to my problem after a 3 month layup . Had the clicking sound and dead batteries after recharging the engine would not start , in my case it turned out that the Sigma Alarm codes had been wiped from the processor(this is where the clicking came from) which left the vehicle immobilised . To rectify we had to reinput the alarm codes and reprogramme both vehicle keys .
Hope this helps if you have the same faults

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
managed to get the van to rock in gear but to no avail...

found the CAL5 fuse and checked it's continuity, not blown...

paid attention to the immobiliser warnning lamp, it flashed once and then out, so operating correctly...

doesn't have an alarm fitted so not cause of the problem...

Today it was as yesterday, fine but very wet rain for most of the day. Still managed to check a number of things out. My guess is the starter motor OR the connections to it. With water running on to me from the bumper I took 20 minutes to check out as much as possible around the stater.

It looks moderately corroded around electrical parts and connections, we had to travel a great deal last winter so my guess is salt.

The battery cable to the solenoid was showing battery voltage. The switch terminal on the solenoid showed 9.3v on turning the ignition key, when key was off no voltage.

After cleaning the outside of the switch cable and terminal and the solenoid fixing nut, plus a quick clean on the vehicle earth cable got the voltage up to 11.7v.
I would have thought at that voltage the solenoid would at least click or grunt but nothing?

There are two red relays in the dash fuse box, the one on the LH side by the glove box. Both of these make a sound when the ignition switch is turned to start.

After 20 minutes of water running down my back I gave in, but think the next steps are to disconect each terminal, clean and replace. My thoughts are though is that there is a major starter fault.

Will use jumper leads direct from a battery to try to activate first the solenoid switch terminal, and second to activate the motor alone.

If either or both are negative will remove the starter and test on a bench.

If there are any other opinions or further suggestions then please let me know, always willing to learn and have to collect building materilas very soon.

Thanks to everyone

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Our 2.8 JTD Ducato has stood for 3 months with only 2 short journeys in that time.

A couple of days ago went to start and nothing except warning lights. Checked battery and was flat at 12.3v. Charged battery used a second battery to add a jump from. Warning lamps perfoming as they should, fuel pump was running but nothing except 2 very quite click/cluncks but they only happened the one time.

The click/clunk was not the starter solenoid as too quiet so I thought relay but don't think there is one in the starter circuit.

My next thought is if the battery was low for say 4-6 weeks, would this set the immobiliser on i.e. not to start, is this possible?

I left mechanicking just as computers were being fitted as standard and not had too much interest in keeping up much of what they do so feel a bit lost in that area.

Any help thankfully recieved

Starter won't usually engage if battery not delivering. Try putting on headlamps then trying to start, if lights go right out then dead battery.
You previously mentioned having 12.3 volts now say up to 11.7 volts?
An immobiliser will usually prevent the starter from turning but yours makes an attempt?
There is the possibility of a corroded earth strap to the engine?

Suggest you try directly connecting a good well charged battery as that starter motor draws several hundred amps on turning. Soemtimes crap jump leads can't allow enough current to flow. If that is OK then the starter motor is more likely the culprit!

I had complete electric failure in France. Traced to poor connection on that stupid hard to get at fuse board on the positive terminal.

Good luck

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back