2.5 million MOT failures in 2016 due to defective tyres (1 Viewer)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
More than 2.5 million motorists failed their MOT tests in 2016, according to confused.com, because their vehicle had a bald or defective tyre.

Unless a lot of touring miles are covered it is unlikely that your motorhome tyres will wear out. However, like all tyres, they will deteriorate with age and can become distorted if they are left unused in the same position. Motorhome tyres that are on a stationary vehicle are always likely to age more quickly than those in regular and frequent use.

So, check the condition of your tyres as well as the air pressure in your tyres. In particular, check the tyre walls - exterior and interior. Surface cracking of the sidewalls can occur if the motorhome tyres are allowed to become under-inflated and remain for a long period of time in that condition. This means that the tyre could burst when you are driving.

You can identify the age of your tyres by the date code printed on the tyre sidewall. Basically, a three digit code means the tyre was made before 1999, which was replaced by a four digit code in 2000. After 2000, the code stands for the week and the year in which the tyre was made, i.e. 0310 would mean the tyre was made in the third week of 2010.

Leisure vehicle organisations recommend that motorhome tyres should be replaced when they reach five years old and they certainly should not be used beyond seven years or you could risk a blow-out.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I see a lot of tyres valeting vans and a good percentage can be termed as dangerous. When I come across any cracked side walls I never apply any dressing as this can mask the problem, then when finished point out the damage to the owner. One owner was astonished as the van had through an MOT the previous day with not even an advisory.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Good advice, but this figure only represents an approx 10% MOT failure rate.(Arnold Clarke)
The highest MOT failure rate of approx 30% is electrical (BulbslHeadlight alignment)
There was supposed to be approx 35million UK registered vehicles in 2016.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back