2.3 Versus 3.0 Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stevec, May 30, 2015.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

How much different will the fuel consumption figures be for these engines . 3 litre 160bhp against 2.3 130bhp. All things being equal of course.

2. bungy

bungy Funster

i average 27mpg n a 3.ol fully loaded to 3500kg
    and my driving style isnt the most fuel conserving either:D
    if that helps...

but...how big a van is the engine pulling along?, what shape etc etc

3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I had a 3.0 and now a 2.3 and to be quite honest not a lot of difference. Given the choice, I would go for the bigger engine every time

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lindsay

Lindsay Read Only Funster

Me to. There's no substitute for cubic capacity, me thinks

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gandhi

Gandhi

With my smaller engine in the past I had my foot further down all the time to maintain speed so there was no real saving.

6. iandsm

iandsm Funster

My 2.3 seems plenty powerful for my 3.6 tonnes, but of course I don't know how different a bigger engine might be, I might change my mind if I tries one. Anyway I routinely get 27.5 and have sometimes gone to 27.9 but have never gone over.

7. keith

keith Funster

Nothing to do with the size of the engine, but definitely all to do with the weight of the boot on the right foot. :LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

My van is a low profile but I always get around 30MPG @ 50-60 MPH - 2200 rpm
    If the route is flat I have seen 34 MPG. I change gear at 2000 rpm and use the maximum torque.
    But do like the sound of more power and would love to try one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stevec

stevec Funster

We've been looking at 2.3L MHs and found a Pilote T680 which makes much better use of it's length than some others we've looked at. But this one has a 3.0L engine. We thought we had decided on a make and model until we saw this one this afternoon. Now we're weighing up the pros and cons of each and engine size (and economy) is one factor. To answer Bungy's question it is a 3500kg chassis in a coachbuilt low profile.

10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Why worry about a few mpg when the real cost of motorhoming is the eye-watering depreciation?

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. keith

keith Funster

Don't worry about it the 3 ltr is a much better engine, more like driving a car than a MH. The extra power makes all the difference, I wouldn't change mine now I have felt the difference & I don't see any difference in MPG to our previous MH.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

If cost really matters stick out for a 2.3, we have a 3.0 Mercedes and rarely get over 20 mpg, we don't drive overly fast or accelerate hard but have never had a 2.3 to compare to, but bigger engine must mean lower mpg

I am lucky enough not to have to worry too much about cost of running (for now at least), it is a very comfortable drive and we do weight just over 5000kg (y)

I would imagine that too much power in a FWD will just make the traction control work harder

13. bungy

bungy Funster

Ive had a 2.2, 2.3 and now a 3l...3lmis the best by a long shot and next to naff all difference on fuel economy. Best bit is it is a pleasure to drive, loads of oomph when needed and with cruise on in 6th gear it trundles along with no problems at all...especially as its only moving 3500kg

go have a test drive, probably be the icing on the cake for a near perfect van for you....(y)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I think it really depends on how many miles you do................. we have the 2.3 and average about 15000 miles per year.

At an average of37 mpg that is a LOT of fuel saved .......... makes me smile at the pumps :D On a motorway run we get around 44 mpg :)

15000/37 = 405 gallons ......... 15000/27 = 555 gallons

I am quite happy to save £800 per year (at least) :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. TerryL

TerryL Funster

During our sojourn in Morocco we travelled around with Cherrypirate - they've got a 3.0 Comfortmatic and we're a 2.3 Manual (both low-profile coachbuilts). We found we were filling up at the same time with almost the same amount of fuel. The only comment I'd make is that their 3.00 seemed to cope better with hills and rarely changed down whilst we usually had to drop a cog; didn't seem to make any difference to the fuel consumption though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Next time you are alongside the spinning wheel nuts of a lorry,look at the area around the bottom right ahnd corner of the door,does it say.."480-500 ?"
    Then ask yourself,why would they put sutch a big lump in it,when a smaller unit would do the job more efficiently(Spelling LOL). There is your question answered,as many of the above posts prove. You don't ahve to paint black lines away from traffic lights,but there is no substitute for power/cc/h-power.
    Tea Bag

17. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

I wanted the 150bhp engine if I could get one but our stock van was the 130 , I am amazed at how well it pulls . the dash trip Meter is showing 31.9 but I haven't checked with calculating manually yet as the engine is new .

18. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

3ltr so much more pull, less gear changing etc. had 150bhp before. Fiat Comfortmatic gear box linked to a 3 ltr is a real pleasure to drive

19. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

500hp is wasted in a restricted truck ! . if you need to get from London to Stranraer to catch a ferry and your restrictor has ' failed ' , then it comes in very handy . (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. musson

musson Funster

130hp, just got 27 trip to norfolk, on motorway can get 30