1st trip to Spain -March. Advice please!!! (1 Viewer)

petesam

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Funster No
Hiya all, Well, we have booked our first trip abroad in the RV via eurotunnel on 16th march. We are heading for southern Spain (sunshine). We have approx 2 mths to spend away. Any advice would be very welcome on overnight sites in France and sites in general in Spain. We will be more or less following the coast through Spain possibly as far as Almeria-who knows? Your help would be appreciated thanks Peter. P S -we are in a 32ft RV.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hiya all, Well, we have booked our first trip abroad in the RV via eurotunnel on 16th march. We are heading for southern Spain (sunshine). We have approx 2 mths to spend away. Any advice would be very welcome on overnight sites in France and sites in general in Spain. We will be more or less following the coast through Spain possibly as far as Almeria-who knows? Your help would be appreciated thanks Peter. P S -we are in a 32ft RV.

Hi Peter, can't help other than to say, you could do a lot worse than to drop a PM to Donmadge......he knows all there is to know about where to stop in Europe etc. Also Moandick will probably be able to advise re RV pitches :winky:

Did you get your awning sussed?

Cheers
Linda

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
34 ft RV with toad on Euro tunnel slightly tight turning into the carriage but great once your on and fast plus even better if you have pets as they travel with you.

Be very wary where you stop on autopista's in Spain especially the service areas overnight (they look inviting) find a site.

Otherwise enjoy:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If this were my trip my dillema would be.. do I rush to the sun in Spain and then bimble back through France taking my pick of French sites in April/May. Or do I take my time on the way down enjoy the deserted roads and campsites in March, maybe even make it to a snow line somewhere for some fun.

I would probably choose the latter. Every time I have planned to take a trip home slowly and make a holiday of the return journey, I am not disciplined enough to implement it, I normally stay in the sun for as long as I can and then I am forced make a mad dash to the ferry at the very last possible moment, the only French I see on the trip home are operating the peage!

Whatever you do, why not start a blog here, we would love to be appraised of your travels. :thumb:

2escapees

Deleted User
If this is your first trip my advice is don't park overnight in any aires on the autoroute in France and Spain. And from my bitter experience (we were robbed in Valencia) don't park you RV and leave it in any large cities or towns as the Spanish Police told me you are too much of an inviting target!

OP
OP
P

petesam

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Funster No
1st trip to Spain.

Hiya everyone, thank you all for taking the time to reply . We have taken on board all the advice given and hope we will have a safe and enjoyable trip.Thank you to the 2escapees for the advice on parking. Iam sorry to here of your bad experience of being robbed. ( i hope they were caught) . Thanks again Peter&Judith.

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi, Peter

I notice that you say you intend to follow the coast, do you have a route through France planned ? only you may want to consider the west coast then through central Spain to the Costa Del Sol then follow the coast back up through the Costa's. The route we took last year was around the same time as you are proposing and went :-

Calais - Poitiers - St jean de Luz [Urrugne] -- La Cabrera [north of Madrid] - Malaga then we followed the ?N340? as much as we could along the coast back into France via Perpignan.

There was snow between St Jean de Luz and Burgos but they do clear the roads quickly, if you want any more details please let me know

Brian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

Good luck with the trip, some tips for relaxed touring with an RV in Europe..

1. Buy the French aires book and at least one other camp site guide book, I use the Caravan Club sites books of Europe.
Use the aires off the main routes, there are some real gems to be found in many French villages.

2. Research and plan each stop before setting off and have a plan 'B' .

3. If visiting an unknown site phone before arriving and check that they have space for an RV ..

4. Do your research before leaving home, plot recommended sites on either Autoroute or paper map, preferably both, have a 'look' at the site using Google map, check for potential access problems.

5. Take your time, don't drive all day, plan to arrive at you next stop mid afternoon.

6. In Spain there are few aires, wild camping is possible but personally I think an RV is too noticeable and attracts unwanted attention.
If you cannot find a site, look for the old fashioned truck stops off the autoroutes. Buy a meal in the greasy spoon and get friendly with the barman, ask about stopping for the night and you will find they are really friendly, we have used these places many times without incident.. several we have used had night guards whom we befriended before settling down.. a cup of coffee (or something stronger) and a fag will go down well..:winky:

7. Fill the fresh water tank and dump the grey / black at every opertunity .. your next stop may not have good facilities for RVs

8. When arriving at an unknown site, park up and walk the route into the site, check for overhanging trees and power cables and that there is space to manouver to get back out.

9. In Spain there are very few LPG stations, ( I've never found any), consider fitting an extenda stay or installing a gas inlet on the LP side of the tank regulator, this can be used with any bottle and suitable regulator.

10. You can't have too much EHU cable, take at least two 25mt reels.
Same for water filling hose, I carry 2 x 30mt and 1 x25 mt reels and have used them all several times.. much to the amusement of fellow motorhomers..

Safe and happy travels

Jim:Smile:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
34 ft RV with toad on Euro tunnel slightly tight turning into the carriage but great once your on and fast plus even better if you have pets as they travel with you.
Otherwise enjoy:thumb:

John,

I wouldn't have thought it any tighter than it is for an articulated lorry driver?:Smile:

OP
OP
P

petesam

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Funster No
1st trip to spain.

Hiya Jim, thank you for all your advice on RVing abroad . I have understood what you are saying and will do as you sugest. Thanks again - Peter.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
John,

I wouldn't have thought it any tighter than it is for an articulated lorry driver?:Smile:

I am probably longer than most artic and we were loaded on with the cars not in the HGVs carriages both ways:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back