Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Hi fellow Motorhomers

This year is our 25th Wedding Anniversary and we are looking at taking our 1st trip in the MH to France for 2wks in June,we live in Cornwall so we will cross from Plymouth to Roscoff and we were thinking of making our way down to the Bay of Biscay.
I hope some of you could recommend some good sites to stay and places to visit ! We enjoy walking,cycling and a few water sports and of course a bit of peace and quiet
Look forward to any replies :thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Google Earth !!! Le Gurp !

My preferred area is Aquitaine, just below the River Garonne, miles and miles of sandy beaches with cycle tracks through the pine forests !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
It sounds like a fabulous trip. We did something similar a couple of years ago. One thing you really must see is this miniature village. We were just mesmerised and would love to see it again.

http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/vendee-miniature.htm

This is also worth a visit and there is an ACSI site up the hill (going south from the car park), not the first one, which I believe has direct access to the Dune. It's great exercise climbing up it and you can see for miles.

There are some nice aires on the way down to the border. Mimizan Plage is right beside the beach and one at Hourtin, which is a lake area. There are loads of places to stay there and you might want to go onto Ile de Re for a couple of days. If you go to La Rochelle, there are loads of restaurants, all selling mussels in different sauces.

Also, there is a ferry which goes from Royan over to Pointe de Grave?, which would save a good bit of driving time and diesel and helped us to avoid Bordeaux. I think it was about 45 euros.

It was a lovely place and we went right down to the border before turning inland and working our way up to the Dordogne. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Biarritz in the sun is a glorious sight. The glamour of a world gone now.

And if you drive a few miles further you can add Spain to your list.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Whoops sorry. Forgot the link for the Dune du Pilat.

http://www.dune-pyla.com/en/

::bigsmile:

Ivy

Dune du Pyla is a must, also the aires at Gastes and Sanquinet ideal for kayak / boating they are right alongside large lakes, have a look at my photo album france 2009 west coast
Terry:sin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chybax

Chybax

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Thank You

Thank you to all who replied to my post re: 1st trip

We will check out all your recommendations :Smile:

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
For cycling and water sports try La Palmyre, at the mouth of the Gironde.

If water sports include surfing you could do a lot worse than a stop in the forested aire at Biscarrosse-Plage. Good cycle tracks round there too.

Bikes are a must if you visit the Ile d'Oleron or Ile de Re - plenty of aires on both. Ile de Re is a bit more upmarket.

Dune du Pyla is good fun - apparently Europe's tallest sand dune.

The Biarritz-Bayonne-Anglet area is well worth a look - there are three aires round there, all within reach of the sea. Again, very cycle friendly.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back