1st trip in the Hymer!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Coolbeanz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

After 2 weeks of ownership we are finally enjoying our first trip in the Hymer. :BigGrin: we drove 30 foot from the side of the garage to the centre of the drive :Rofl1: As we were keen to test everything out and we are not free to go away for the weekend we thought we would camp on the drive for the night. We followed our carefully written instructions and soon got the boiler fired up and the heating on :thumb: We have added some additional notes to our pad such as "insert plug in water tank first" :Doh: and "switch Gas bottle on before trying to start boiler" :Doh: we have just enjoyed a fine gourmet dinner of pizza and extra garlicky garlic bread :BigGrin: and we are now chilling with a nice brandy and lemonade :thumb: it is super warm and toasty and I am chilling with my feet up catching up on the threads on FUN while Glynn alternates between reading the Hymer manual and watching the Winter Olympics on the TV, oh yes I forgot to mention that we even managed to work the sat dish and sky system on the first attempt :thumb: Looking forward to watching Stella later after I have purchased a few more "must have" accessories off the internet :Rofl1: hopefully get some photos taken in the morning :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 23
  2. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Ah! Great to hear this........here's to plenty more fun times ahead of you:thumb:

Margaret & Bill

• Like Like x 1
  3. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

Glynn thought it was really kind of me when I said he could watch the rugby :BigGrin: he hasn't spotted the credit card beside me :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  4. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Way to go.........:thumb:

Margaret

• Like Like x 1
  5. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

Sounds lovely. With the blinds up/down you could be anywhere.... Have a lovely evening, and here's to some lovely weekends away this year a little further afield! :thumb:

6. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

Will definitely be more than a few weekends away as we take early retirement in April and will be long-terming in Europe from May, can't wait :BigGrin:

7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Bet your fuel costs are NOTHING!! :BigGrin::Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Glad to hear all is well with your new motorhome, we are also away at the moment for the first time in ours:Smile: we too have a new rule which is to close the fresh water tap under the van when filling up :Doh: and do this job before going to the pub:Rofl1: we are camped about two miles outside Bath and will get the bus in to town the morning. Loving are new motorhome :thumb:

Rob&Jane

• Like Like x 1
  9. cliffandger

We've both taken early retirement and are off to Germany or Italiy for a month in May/June. Plan on travelling the Romantic Road in Bavaria, but depending on weather we may go onto Italy. May see you over there! :thumb:

10. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Good to read its not just me that does things like camping in the driveway and the house isn't far away for those things you forgot to pack. Hope you are enjoying your sleep. My first night I was too excited to sleep:Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Bebe

Bebe

Hope you are fast asleep and have not been woken by the other 'campers' :Smile: No rushing home, enjoy your day :thumb:

12. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Any chance either or both of you could have a word with my missus please? I don't appear to be having much of an influence, on the subject of retirement. :Sad: ............. :Wink:

Coolbeanz, a good choice of MH. (Y) Glad to see that you are getting to know her, albeit only 30ft down the driveway. :Laughing:

Cheers,

Jock.

13. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

The Romantic Route is on our list of places to visit, we just received some brilliant free guides from the German tourist board. We'll be starting our big trip in Northern Spain ready to head into the south of France for the Tour de France before heading further north. We'll keep an eye out for you :thumb:

14. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

Glynn woke up briefly, declared it the best nights sleep he's ever had and promptly fell asleep again :Doh:I have come indoors already as I have a lot of cooking to do for a "Come Dine" dinner party tonight. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

I think life is too short not to grab the opportunity, you always assume you will live to old age but as we have seen too often life has a way of throwing a curved ball. Tell her you need to make the most of now because that is real :thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Don't end up with a huge retirement fund and not enough retirement to spend it.

• Like Like x 4
  17. irnbru

Mums came to visit, just been showing her the thread and proving how im not the only one to want to camp out, shes smiling and saying "Good on you":BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  18. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Your right, Full of them on here........And anyway, your mum is always the first one you should tell when you decide to 'come out'..........Allegedly...:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  19. cliffandger

We were both self employed, so it was our decision when to stop - I think that's more difficult when the choice is yours. My job was supporting deaf and hard of hearing people through text on laptops (bit like subtitles but better!) and for years I was one of a very small band of people doing it in the South West, so had the added 'guilt' trip about letting deaf people down if I stopped. However, I made the decision last year to stop. The world is still turning, there are people out there that are doing the job (obviously not as good as me though :Wink:) and I realised I wasn't indispensable. Once I had got my head around that, I've enjoyed every second of not working! Go on Rita, take a tip from me, you'll like it once you've done it! Even more surprising thing is, we don't spend a fraction as much money being home as we did when we were working! Hope to meet up with lots of Funsters this year, including you two! xx :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  20. irnbru

Don't quite get your post???