1993 Hymer S700 - is there a brake diagnostic socket (1 Viewer)

HymerHenry

Free Member
May 29, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi There,
I have recently purchased a 1993 Hymer S700. Very pleased with this beauty. Just one slight problem at the moment - The ABS light has come on. I took it to a garage which searched for the Brake diagnostic socket for ages, but did not manage to find it. Apparently this will make the 'fault finding' very easy, otherwise it is a very manual intensive job to locate the fault.
I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the location of the brake diagnostic socket, or confirm if it actually does not have one?!
many thanks

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you are looking for an OBD socket

Hi There,
I have recently purchased a 1993 Hymer S700. Very pleased with this beauty. Just one slight problem at the moment - The ABS light has come on. I took it to a garage which searched for the Brake diagnostic socket for ages, but did not manage to find it. Apparently this will make the 'fault finding' very easy, otherwise it is a very manual intensive job to locate the fault.
I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the location of the brake diagnostic socket, or confirm if it actually does not have one?!
many thanks

Not sure about this age.. would be an OBD socket... we are on OBD II these days.. not all early made chassis had one... normally if there is one it is not far front he steering wheel. While on a modern car / motor home it will provide you with a lot of information via the codes (which can be reset) anti lock braking as said is a labour intensive hunt.

Plus it is now part of the MOT if I am not wrong. Could be an expensive exercise.

Perhaps Geo will know.

Bob

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Need more info base Fiat merc?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Might help if we knew what vehicle we were talking about Hobby is the living bit
Brakes are on the chassis/driving bit:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
H

HymerHenry

Free Member
May 29, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks for the responses so far - very quick! It is a mercedes based LHD Hymer, 2.9Diesel -1993. The mechanic had a good look around the drivers side and removed a panel from the passenger side but still could not find the socket.:Doh:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You need to determine which chassis it is built on. At that age, I think it pre-dates the Sprinter and would be on a 410D chassis. Then ask a Mercedes commercial dealer where the socket (if it exists) is located. It is highly unlikely that Hymer would have relocated it in the conversion. For example, on mine (2003 Sprinter 316) the diagnostic socket is under the dash to the left of the steering column (LHD).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Yes, it is the old Mercedes 410D base. Not sure there is a socket, just checked in the Peter Russek Guide and it is none too helpful either, says take ABS faults to the dealer! Have you tried your local Mercedes Truck workshop? Ours is serviced by our local one and they seem pretty competitive and are interested in servicing such an old vehicle!

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back