Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Friends of ours have bought their first van, a 1992 Compass Drifter on a Ducato 1.9 TD chassis.
The MH really is in good nick, but the floor puzzles me!:Confused:

I haven't had time to examine the floor properly, but there is some springiness when I walk about on it. I have looked underneath whilst Shell has walked about and the ply floor springs under her weight, but only between the chassis members, as you might expect.

Now, if the floor were delaminating, the flexing would only be felt underfoot and not visible when viewed from underneath.

I suspect that the floor is only a single sheet of ply and not of a sandwich construction like more modern vans. The only insulation appears to be the carpet!:whatthe:

Does anyone know if I am correct in this assumption? The body is completely dry and all seems well with the damp meter. I just haven't had the opportunity to check the thickness of the floor yet.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the floor is only single skin ply and not a laminate then it would be at least 18mm (3/4inch) and shouldn't move under normal body weight.

could be the ply is starting to rot :Sad:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks, I was wondering, it seems my assumption about the floor construction was correct.:thumb:
I get a chance to look at the van again on Wednesday, so I will get a chance to check the thickness.
The floor appeared completely dry, but I wonder if the inter-sheet adhesive is degrading with age and causing the ply to loose its stiffness.:Sad:
I reckon some reinforcement sheets glued and screwed from underneath could be the thing to help the van see out its days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Chances are you are correct and it will have broken down over the years from road spray.The only answer would be to replace the floor but on such a van would not be worthwhile.Your "modified" solution sounds good but you may find you need a lot of extra screws as you will be screwing into basically delaminrated ply that is only 3/4 thick
Terry

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
If the ply is deteriorating I'd put a new layer of 12mm ply on top, not underneath as that would only be as strong as the screws you put in.
12mm marine quality ply can easily be cut with an electric jigsaw and when you lay the carpet on top you won't even notice it. Secure it in place with No Nails or similar adhesive.
You could use ply underneath but it'd be best to secure it in place with nuts and bolts and large washers. At the same time you could sandwich a sheet of polystyrene for extra insulation.
Mike :Smile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Jon is an expert on motorhome floors - I've witnessed him "flat out" on one!:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back