1989 Tiffin Allegro - looking for all advice offered (1 Viewer)

Bev Griffiths

Free Member
Mar 24, 2009
Widnes, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Bought Our Bus Nov 2008
Hi, I am looking for any advice anyone can give regards an 1989 Tiffin Allegro. We bought within the UK last November got it home and have been slowly & when time allows, cleaning up the interior and trying in vain to sort an electrics problem. Batteries just wont hold a charge. New ones put on & we still have to jump start her. We did put on an alarm (prof. done) & immob. but have been assured that this isnt the problem.

All advice is most welcome, good or bad on anything to do with the bus.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Bev
(Widnes, Cheshire)

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Is it the house batteries or the engine battery going flat??

If house check that any lights that come on in the wardrobes do actually switch off when you shut the doors.

Cheers :thumb:

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Hi Bev, welcome to the site.Check the aerial booster switch is not left on,mine is located at the bottom of the cupboard,at the end of the fixed bed.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Bev

I assume we are talking about the engine battery which is new ?

First thing I would check is whether the battery is being charged or not, easily tested using a multimeter set on DC Volts

Engine running there should be < + 14v at the battery terminals.. if not then possible causes are .. alternator duff ; drive belt slipping / broken ; bad connections ;

If the charging voltage is ok then suspect it is being drained, could be the alarm , radio, or some other device being left on inadvertently.

Let us know your findings ..

Jim

i

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
hi Bev and welcome :)
I cant add much to whats been said already..

I like the allegro, it was the first van i saw and was huge inside the owners workshop!

the silly site I am on wont allow more than 23' for me, hence my old jalopy. but i did want that allegro..

think it was 1991 and £19K!!!! yes 19, i am glad with hindsight I didnt pay that now!

can I ask how much yours was?

John

OP
OP
Bev Griffiths

Bev Griffiths

Free Member
Mar 24, 2009
Widnes, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Bought Our Bus Nov 2008
Hi John,

many thanks for your reply... like everyone who has kindly offered advice, we will reply to all...

Our boogie bus... I was really cheeky and saw it on ebay, the bus was going for 7999.00 buy it now no questions asked, a steal I thought, so me being me, let the item run its course, then contacted the seller. Did watch it for a couple of weeks. Told him that we only had 6000.00 and wanted his bus. This was true. Amazingly, he said yes! He mot'd it even though needed some repairs, he did them also and even taxed it for 6 mths! We thought it was a bargain.

So any niggle things wrong with it, we are accepting of them as you can image.

B.x

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Wow .. 6K

Bev youve reinforced my feeling aobut what the guy was asking !!

nice bus but just under 20K for 16 years old :Doh:

you did well :) i do that on ebay sometimes..

J

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Bev, welcome to the fun site. I think the older RVs have more character than the more modern ones. We used to have a 1980 Foretravel with a pusher Cummins 8.2 diesel. Sometimes Iwish we never got rid of it , but hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it? Hope you sort the probs out ,there will be someone on here that can help I'm sure.
regards, Dave:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back