1979 VW Camper - Up for auction in Bristol (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I saw that or one like it in convoy with a few others on the M40 today, in the lead was a blue VW Karman Ghia coupe.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
:eek:

John-Pye-Vehicle-Auction-Bristol-Volkswagen-Camper-12.jpg

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having twice had the misfortune of owning these clunkers, I can never understand why any sane thinking person would pay money for one. They were of little use as a serious camper when new. Heater almost non existent, brakes that didn't work, lights like candles, no insulation, noisy, fuel guzzlers. Having said that I could never understand why anyone would own a Morris Minor by choice :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Watched the last episode of the last series of Midsomer Murders tonight and what was Barnaby driving off in for his weekend in Torquay?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
could say i have had a few . customized and made to work. the last one went to morocco 5 times twice pulling the teardrop. look carefully on one pic you can see it with the tear going down one of the canyon tracks from tafroute to akka . only go down i,m told its impossible to get upwards its that steep in places .
but great vehicles . not the most powerful but good traction and can be very reliable .
one pic is out side the wartburg factory in eisench. thats where the first bmw cars were made . in 1928 austin 7,s built under licence and sold as bmw dixie .

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 39
  • img011.jpg
    img011.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 37
  • img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 39
  • img026.jpg
    img026.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 38
  • img047.jpg
    img047.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 38
  • img042.jpg
    img042.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 38
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
image.jpeg
Always thought I'd buy one of these have spent hours looking at them at shows:cool:

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Having twice had the misfortune of owning these clunkers, I can never understand why any sane thinking person would pay money for one. They were of little use as a serious camper when new. Heater almost non existent, brakes that didn't work, lights like candles, no insulation, noisy, fuel guzzlers. Having said that I could never understand why anyone would own a Morris Minor by choice :rolleyes:.
I concur 100%! We had our honeymoon touring California in one borrowed from a friend, but it became a tour of the garages of southern CA it was so unreliable, underpowered, noisy, thirsty, cold, horrible to drive - but we loved the idea of motor homes and bought a "decent" later model which served us well. Would I want another? No, give me my small coach built any day!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We had two Bay window campers and had great times in them. Underpowered, yes, crappy heaters, yes, noisy, not really, but great fun and the brakes worked fine in both of them. We toured all around France in both, the second one we had, covered 40,000 miles in 8 years while we were still at work, and it never let us down.
According to DVLA, it recently got an mot and is still driving around, 38 years on.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bit like the Emperors New Clothes these things if enough people say they're good then the flock will agree and follow. Personally wouldn't give tuppence for one, drove one once had a weekend in North Wales in it. Never again a tent and my motorbike is a hundred times better.:eek:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
spent hours and hours welding these buckets of rust back together for customers with more money than sense.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I don't agree with the Emporors new Clothes analogy, but I agree they are a bit Marmitey.
I sold mine in 2000 for £1000 with a full mot and in excellent condition. In my opinion, they are not worth much more than that now, a Splitty in good nick and in original condition may be worth more, but they are awfully underpowered and as Chris says above, are usually owned by people with more money than sense.
Once the surfing community got hold of them, they started to achieve cult status and prices started going up.
I enjoyed the time that we owned ours, but would never buy another, I couldn't afford one.....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
unreliable, underpowered, noisy, thirsty, cold, horrible to drive -

had one in the 80s. .. never again.. it was all of that and more ..

if you love fixing things, ideal hobby van..

museum pieces from a bygone era.. much like Model T Fords

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
"scene tax " It is called.:LOL: One I looked at in North Devon in the final stages of restoration, bloke said he was in for 59k:eek::eek::cry:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
to be honest you can get lots of cheap parts for them and if you do it yourself can be very cheap.
i could easily go back to having one . mind i do find them a bit small now .
but brought up my two kids in them and travelled all over in vwt2 and t25,s .
i nearly bought one of the last t2,s with the polo motor in the back but decided not to . i used to fit 1800cc passat engines into them at one time . power ,economy but didnt make more room. have lots happy memories in them.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
One thing I forgot about them was there ability to spontaneously combust. I believe that with the restored ones its so bad they have a built in fire extinguisher in the engine compartment :rolleyes:.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
One thing I forgot about them was there ability to spontaneously combust. I believe that with the restored ones its so bad they have a built in fire extinguisher in the engine compartment :rolleyes:.
the problem used to be not using the right fuel hose . plus not having the fuel lines in the correct place . the gates braided hose was the ultimate fuel hose . others made some as well . the worse was that plastic see through with internal zig zagging . it couldnt stand the heat.
i still use gates braided on my motor bikes etc . brilliant hose . works with petrol ,diesel , air pressure etc can take over 150psi if need be .
my last t2 had limited slip dif and was great even in deep sand . they do have incredible ground clearances . better than a land rover .
the later syncro is fantastic in the desert .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back