1875 German Sewing machine

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by scotjimland, May 2, 2012.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This is the latest machine I've acquired and restored, not a Singer , but a beautiful German Frister and Rossmann Fiddle base, dating from between 1875 - 1880

A rare 'find' , so rare that it should probably be in a museum.

After freeing off, cleaning off the rust and oiling it sews as good as the day it was made , some 130 odd years ago . A testament to German engineering..
    On the front edge you will see an inlaid metric ruler.. 5mm, 10mm and 100mm markings.
    with a full set of attachments, and feet, a truly beautiful machine..

Inside the tray I found some crumpled paper, I thought it was newspaper but after unfolding found the original instruction book in English .. it's very frail and tattered I will try to preserve it, imported to London , hence the English instructions..

Have a look at the photos and be amazed that something built all these years ago not only survives but works as intended.. The mother of peril shines as does the lovely wooden inlaid with walnut cabinet .. The tiny oil can (next to the 10p piece) is not German but marked Made In USA .. no idea how old it is .. https://picasaweb.google.com/scotjimland/18751880FristerAndRossmannFiddleBaseBadgedJSilbergOfHamburg?authuser=0&feat=directlink

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

It's lovely jim:thumb:if you got some spare time?could you run us up a suit,size extra fat:Laughing:

• Like Like x 3
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

nice one jim. i could say strange hobbie but who am i to knock you . i collect alsorts . usually transport items .
    heres one of them .came from my mum .but its sort of relavent this year .
    its a wooden jigsaw of the festival of of britain 1951 on the south bank.
    all complete .cant show it but its something i never knew she had it was wrapped up carefully in her wardrobe . dont know why but . its a lovely thing to have.
    thought i had turned it never mind .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Nice find Jim.

Keep going you will be able to open a museum at this rate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yeah.. that's what Jan says our lounge is becoming ... :Sad:

it's a real problem.. I'm running out of display space.. but I'm now looking a toy Singers .. :BigGrin:

[​IMG]

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I see your German engineering and raise you English engineering. These machines, about the same age, made in Nottingham, capital of lace in those days.

It's about 3m wide and can knit/knot a non-tareable netting 2m wide no other machine to this day can make. The complexity is staggering. All cast iron. They have that wonderful dull clatter and smell of oil working hard. It's ages since I worked in that factory but I think they are still churning out netting. There were about 20 of them.

Attached Files:

• sn.jpg
      sn.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
    • sn2.jpg
      sn2.jpg
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TweetiePie

TweetiePie Read Only Funster

I collect Dinky and Lesney models, only military ones tho.............Sorry, Shouldn't have said that, someone is almost certain to bring up national service.....:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Jim, very nice -- look into the museum bit :thumb: apparently ( I am told ) you only have to open to the public one day a year and it is rate free :thumb: open up that front room :BigGrin:---Before anybody jumps on me it is only what I was told :Wink::BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  9. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Isn't that the truth!

I would often be sewing away on my mum's old treadle Singer when I was a kid, making or repairing stuff, and I'd be distracted by something and find I'd sewed through my finger...

Happy days! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Used to know someone when at work who's wife collected toy sewing machines, saw pictures of some of her collection, surprising the workmanship used in some of them.