1875 German Sewing machine (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This is the latest machine I've acquired and restored, not a Singer , but a beautiful German Frister and Rossmann Fiddle base, dating from between 1875 - 1880

A rare 'find' , so rare that it should probably be in a museum.

After freeing off, cleaning off the rust and oiling it sews as good as the day it was made , some 130 odd years ago . A testament to German engineering..
On the front edge you will see an inlaid metric ruler.. 5mm, 10mm and 100mm markings.
with a full set of attachments, and feet, a truly beautiful machine..

Inside the tray I found some crumpled paper, I thought it was newspaper but after unfolding found the original instruction book in English .. it's very frail and tattered I will try to preserve it, imported to London , hence the English instructions..

Have a look at the photos and be amazed that something built all these years ago not only survives but works as intended.. The mother of peril shines as does the lovely wooden inlaid with walnut cabinet .. The tiny oil can (next to the 10p piece) is not German but marked Made In USA .. no idea how old it is .. Link Removed

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
It's lovely jim:thumb:if you got some spare time?could you run us up a suit,size extra fat:roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nice one jim. i could say strange hobbie but who am i to knock you . i collect alsorts . usually transport items .
heres one of them .came from my mum .but its sort of relavent this year .
its a wooden jigsaw of the festival of of britain 1951 on the south bank.
all complete .cant show it but its something i never knew she had it was wrapped up carefully in her wardrobe . dont know why but . its a lovely thing to have.
thought i had turned it never mind .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• img059.xnbak.jpg
    img059.xnbak.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 40

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Nice find Jim.

Keep going you will be able to open a museum at this rate.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nice find Jim.

Keep going you will be able to open a museum at this rate.

yeah.. that's what Jan says our lounge is becoming ... :Sad:

it's a real problem.. I'm running out of display space.. but I'm now looking a toy Singers .. ::bigsmile:

Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A testament to German engineering..

I see your German engineering and raise you English engineering. These machines, about the same age, made in Nottingham, capital of lace in those days.

It's about 3m wide and can knit/knot a non-tareable netting 2m wide no other machine to this day can make. The complexity is staggering. All cast iron. They have that wonderful dull clatter and smell of oil working hard. It's ages since I worked in that factory but I think they are still churning out netting. There were about 20 of them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• sn.jpg
    sn.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 35
  • sn2.jpg
    sn2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 29

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
I collect Dinky and Lesney models, only military ones tho.............Sorry, Shouldn't have said that, someone is almost certain to bring up national service.....:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim, very nice -- look into the museum bit :thumb: apparently ( I am told ) you only have to open to the public one day a year and it is rate free :thumb: open up that front room ::bigsmile:---Before anybody jumps on me it is only what I was told :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
yeah.. that's what Jan says our lounge is becoming ... :Sad:

it's a real problem.. I'm running out of display space.. but I'm now looking a toy Singers .. ::bigsmile:

Link Removed

Used to know someone when at work who's wife collected toy sewing machines, saw pictures of some of her collection, surprising the workmanship used in some of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back