14.4v Bulk Charge rate with AGM battery - Yes or No? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The factory fit 24Kgs battery on our new MH is a Yuasa L35-100 100Ah (NCC Class C). Solar panel is 100W.

The Solar charger and the 3 stage (Sargent PX-300) 'intelligent' electronic charger's specifications both state the bulk charge rate to be 14.4v, and float charge rate as 13.6v.

I'm considering replacing the factory fit battery with a single battery of higher capacity, maximum weight 40Kgs, because we like to stay off EHU if we can, but don't use loads of electricity (ie no inverters, no air con).

The available online advice about whether or not to choose AGM batteries with the above charge rates is conflicting to put it mildy, even from the industry. I'm not considering Gel at present, however much anyone else might like them. I don't want to change my chargers.

So - any thoughts (based on personal experience/practical knowledge) on whether I should go for a bigger capacity NCC Class A Lead Acid, or its AGM equivalent? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you can't run GEL just go straight lead acid and I would be tempted to go open serviceable ones.

Martin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
AGM batteries differ in their charging requirements. That is why some chargers have AGM1 and AGM2 programs. Generally though, I understand that AGMs require a higher charging voltage and current than standard lead-acid or gel. Also, they charge much more quickly than gel so a gel program is unlikely to be suitable.
For example, Varta state that the charging voltage should be 14.8V for AGM and 14.4V for lead-acid. Also, they suggest a current of 10% of the nominal capacity for lead-acid and 25%-35% of the nominal capacity for AGM (see image). So, if you go for a total of 200Ah of battery(ies) say, that indicates a charger capable of 50 amps capacity, or more, and I doubt that your Sargent can manage that!

If it were me, I'd stick with good quality sealed lead-acid.
Varta Charging.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If it were me, I'd stick with good quality sealed lead-acid.

Detailed response much appreciated thank you @JeanLuc. As most of the NCC Class A batteries of higher capacity are AGM or Gel, and the MH's charging system only has a Lead Acid option I'm already inclining towards a Bosch L5 series 140Ah to see how we go. I can always flog the Yuasa on eBay to subsidise it.

I'd rather have a Class B with a 5 year warranty working properly than a class A being undercharged and packing up early.

However, I'm open to other suggestions on the subject if they're out there. Upgrading the chargers for more options is maybe for the future if things don't go to plan.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I switched to Varta sealed lead-acid a couple of years back and I'm happy with them. They have the same 'power grid' construction as the Bosch and make large sizes. I have 2 x LFD90 which are 90 Ah each, but they also make 140, 180 and 230 Ah sizes if you have room (and a small crane to lift them!).
https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/varta-professional-dual-purpose

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would not risk AGM's with your charger you would be lucky if they lasted 2 years.For batteries I would go by Funsters recommendations, I certainly would trust the NCC list, not as unbiased as they make out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back