13 kg propane

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by karalal, Nov 20, 2009.

1. karalal

karalal Funster

how many liters do you put in a 13kg propane bottle

2. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

if its empty 26 .i put 23 just to be safe.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

live dangerously .. squeeze in 27 :Laughing:

only kiddin..

jim

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

did once get 30 .never caused a problem . on my big 1400ltr tank calor often fill it to 95percent . thats acording to the gauge . have seen them in other places were you open the valve and liquid shoots out .dont like that. i was always told to remove dust cover and open the valve to blow any bits out in the thread and check for only gas.
    makes sense.

6. derekfaeberwick

':Sad:Kin woose!

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. derekfaeberwick

It wisnae that funny.:Doh:

Wis it?:Smile:

9. pappajohn

was to me mate....:Rofl1:

10. derekfaeberwick

Mmmh, Ye might be right!!!!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. dogmanlpool

dogmanlpool Read Only Funster

hello ? do you use one of them DIY lpg adaptors to fill your bottle thanks keith

12. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, why not give Calor a ring and ask them.:Doh: Why is it when I fill my Gaslow 11 kg bottle, I can only get in 20.18ltrs.......:RollEyes:......Why not 22ltrs? Bob.

13. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

amazing ,20.18 litres !

for a start the cut out valves are pretty approximate which is why I prefer to measure an exact number of litres for safety in case the valve goes faulty

secondly the 'fill' varies a little with ambient temperature and the lpg temperature and pressure

14. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

Bottles should NOT be filled above 80 % any one who tells you different is stupid in the extreme. [ IN MY OPINION ].:shout::shout::shout::shout::shout:

15. Terry

Terry Funster

:thumb: While I agree totaly with what you are saying :thumb: CALOR say on there web site that bottles contain 80% to 87 % :Rofl1::Rofl1::Eeek::thumb::thumb:HOWS that for accurate filling
    terry

16. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

vindiboy , on what do you base your assertion that bottles shouldn't be filled above 80%

what tests have you done to ascertain that this is the maximum safe figure?

17. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

I have done no tests but those who are in the safety gas industry have and there is plenty of data out there, my understanding of the reasons for he 80 per cent are that any more liquid gas in the bottles can result in liquid gas getting to your burners with catastrophic results, liquid gas expands about 50 times when it turns to gas I believe so it doesn't take much working out of the dangers, Why do you think that properly installed refillable systems have an 80% cut off when filling,as for the cheap adaptors for filling on E Bay , well use them at your peril, you won't know how much gas you have put into your bottles ,the bottles may not have been empty to start with. Others will say ,well I fill my bottles with as much gas as I can get in, fine good luck to them, but it's going to be a big bang one day and I just hope I am not parked near them. Just my opinion for what you may think it's worth. :Blush::Blush::Blush:

18. pappajohn

just a bit more than that Malc.....:thumb:

from calors website..

Volume

The ability to liquefy under modest pressure distinguishes butane from natural gas. When liquefied, the volume occupied significantly reduces, making it easy to store and transport in specially constructed pressure vessels (e.g. Calor LPG cylinders).
    An expansion ratio of approximately 233:1 from its vapour to liquid state means one volume of liquid butane produces 233 volumes of gas.

19. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Malc, while you have the basics ie liquid needing the 20 % to expand into vapour etc,--the question was how much gas in a 13 kg bottle ---- 2 ltrs weighs 1 kg hence the 26 ltrs answer.At no stage did karalal say he was filling using an adapter,you have just assumed it .:Eek!: Then started to spout on about the dangers of using the said filling adapters with either little or no knowledge about using or having used one. :Eeek::Eeek::Sad::Sad:
    Don't drive it may get you killed :Eek!:
    Don't cross the road some muppet may run you over,killing you :Eek!:
    Don't live next door to a house with gas :BigGrin: they may have a gas explosion --- killing you :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    terry

20. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, the trouble starts when people start joking about these things, some people may not get to read all the posts.:RollEyes: If you have the right thing for the job, you don't have to worry about how much it takes, I have 2 x 11kg Gaslow bottles and 20.18ltrs is the most I have got in any one of them, sometimes less than that, and if I top up a half empty bottle, I have no reason to doubt that it's not more than 80% full.:Smile:And my question was why can I only get 20.18ltrs in a 11kg bottle and not 22ltrs working on what you are saying.

We have just been to Germany for two months, and every time we filled with LPG, they either came out and checked we had a filler on the outside before they turned the pump on, or twice they came and filled it, I was worried they were going to look in my locker as all bottles should have a proper clamp on, and not just strapped like here in the UK. Bob.