Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
We've got a 12v external socket to connect a water pump to refill the onboard tank.
Anyone know if I can use the socket to run some Xmas lights from?

This would be a once off as we normally like minimum lighting around a site but as we will be away for Xmas, why not.

Any recommendations on where to get a string of 12v Xmas lights?

Cheers
2dogs

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We have the ones that come with a small solar panel, quite cheap and usually top up during the day and last a few hours at night.

Mike

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks Mike, may take a look at that, just thought as the socket is on the van and I don't use it to fill the water tank I would try that option.

Trikeman, I would assume if I only want static lights I could cut off the control box and wire it direct with the plug I have to the outside socket.

Cheers
2dogs

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Thanks Mike, may take a look at that, just thought as the socket is on the van and I don't use it to fill the water tank I would try that option.

Trikeman, I would assume if I only want static lights I could cut off the control box and wire it direct with the plug I have to the outside socket.

Cheers
2dogs

Not too sure about that - I think the controller would have some sort of transformer, as generally the little LEDs run on a lot lower than 12v direct. We had some for the kids parties and I cut the end off the plug and put a pair of crocodile clips on (just quick way to the battery) and that worked a treat but still the controller was on there. Ours has a 'on' mode where they all just stay on and not flash or dance about - they are quite bright for what they are.

hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks Trikeman,
I could do the same but use the plug I've got instead of croc clips.

Cheers
2dogs

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have the same as the ones in the ebay link and wire them into the 12v supply in the fridge vent. No reason why putting a socket on and using your external point should be a problem.... So says Colin. The remote control allows you to choose between static for flashing, or colour changing lights.

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
I hope so .... just put an order in.

and I just thought, as the van is always plugged up at home, I could hang the lighting from the van on the house guttering when we get back:thumb:

that'll keep her happy::bigsmile:

Cheers
2dogs

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I would assume if I only want static lights I could cut off the control box and wire it direct with the plug I have to the outside socket.

Cheers
2dogs

you could but look around you can get the same lights without the control for half the price.

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks Wildman,
went for the control as when at home I can flash all I like:Eeek:

just don't want to disturb next door on site::bigsmile:

Cheers
2dogs

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one point is that the pump socket on many vans is not permanent live. on mine the switch for water pump has 3 settings, internal pump for taps, off and external pump for filling the tank

years ago we used to go to the c&cc national feast of lanterns and the local region one. we all added lights and a theme to our vans. wonderful displays they were

OP
OP
2dogs

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Thanks Big1,

control panel in the van has pump on/off, don't even know if outside socket works yet but assume it is permanent on, will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
2dogs

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just ordered two from E bay, cheap enough aren't they, thought I would fit cigarette light type plugs on them since I have wired in a 4 socket gang direct from the leisure battery and mounted them on the panel behind the passenger seat. I can then run the leads through the partly opened window (for ventilation) which would be somewhere handy for the job.:thumb:
So many things come with that type of plug now such as sat nav, phone charger, etc. I thought extras would be useful, also a handy spot to plug in the TV when not on EHU without cables being draped all over the place.
Cal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back