12v TV: What features to look for (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Will likely buy a 12v TV soon and had a look yesterday at the MH shop however prices were pretty high to me although they did try to justify this with picture quality and viewing angle. Now having never used a TV/DVD player in our caravan I can't really imagine what to look for. We'll only use it for DVD's and mainly just during journey time so it will be a small screen size but I wouldn't want to have a "can't see the picture from" every 15mins on a 1000km journey:cry:

Have see some 13" LCD screens with built in DVD, specced at 25w (max) for about £200 here on ebay

Anything to look out for regarding the spec ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You mention use mainly just during journey time so the first thing to consider is that the habitation 12v system is normally switched off when the engine is running so any TV or DVD player would have to be powered by internal batteries or from the engine battery.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
you dont have to have a 12v only tv...
A mains one working via an invereter can be used..
We have one from Asda. £85.. It's 16" led very light and slim, Low power consumption.. A 150w inverter from Maplins or even cheaper via ebay and your sorted...
Whoops just noticed your going to use it for dvd and travel so this may not suit.. However a cheap system for when you are stationary..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
You mention use mainly just during journey time so the first thing to consider is that the habitation 12v system is normally switched off when the engine is running so any TV or DVD player would have to be powered by internal batteries or from the engine battery.

So the 2nd battery wouldn't be running when you are driving, is that correct ? Does that mean that any power is coming from the engines battery ? and if so I assume that is still OK, no ?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
So the 2nd battery wouldn't be running when you are driving, is that correct ? Does that mean that any power is coming from the engines battery ? and if so I assume that is still OK, no ?

This is more of an issue with British vans, resulting from some apparent agreement on safety. The leisure 12V system is disabled when the engine is started so that electronic items cannot affect the engine management system. However, it doesn't seem to bother German manufacturers (unless things have changed very recently). Our 12V leisure system remains live all the time the main 12V switch is on. I have seen reports of this problem from a number of British van owners, but never from the owner of a German or French van before.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

The main point is that you would have to draw power from the lighter socket(s) in the cab rather than the living area.

AFAIK the leisure circuit is turned off when the engine is on in our Burstner but maybe that's my assumption having previously had an Elddis where it is definitely the case. I do know that 12v operation of the fridge is from the engine battery and only when the engine is running. The manual doesn't say one way or the other.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK thanks for that, I'll cheek with the dealer to see if the leisure battery runs while driving. This way I can take a supply for the TV from within main compartment.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
whether you run it from the engine battery or the hab battery you will need a voltage stabiliser when the engine is running or it may well blow the TV.

with the engine running it can produce up to 14v to either/both batteries and many 'none motorhome specific' TV's cant tolerate a high voltage.

STABILISER

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
OK thanks for that, I'll cheek with the dealer to see if the leisure battery runs while driving. This way I can take a supply for the TV from within main compartment.

Hi you can check this yourself-start engine and have a look at your Ariel amplifier -if turned on red/green light will show, you can also take your 12v power from there to power your tv :winky:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you dont have to have a 12v only tv...
A mains one working via an invereter can be used..
We have one from Asda. £85.. It's 16" led very light and slim, Low power consumption.. A 150w inverter from Maplins or even cheaper via ebay and your sorted...
Whoops just noticed your going to use it for dvd and travel so this may not suit.. However a cheap system for when you are stationary..
but not very power efficient though.

taking 12v DC, inverting it to 230v AC, then running through the TV's power supply to turn it back into 12v DC again.
so much more efficient to plug directly into a 12v supply.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We have two TV's in the van.

We added a cheap 15" LCD from Makro which is on a tv bracket on the bulkhead behind the driver. The boys watch this when travelling. It has built in DVD, and will also play movies from a USB stick. It has a very good picture and the viewing angles are fine as it is directly facing the passenger seats. Cost £99. It runs on 12V but only came with a transformer converting240 AC to 12V DC.

Our 12V system is live whilst travelling, as long as it is switched on at the control panel.

I fitted an additional 12V cigarette lighter socket next to the TV and made up a 12V lead with a cigar plug on the end. I have no stabiliser fitted. The TV runs fine whether the engine is running or stopped.

Keeps the boys happy apart from them arguing over what to watch.....:cry:

Callum

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Keeps the boys happy apart from them arguing over what to watch.....:cry:

Callum

Think we'll have the same challenge here, 4 girls to argue over which film to pick :Doh:

I'll just keep on rolling, rolling: and turn the radio up:roflmto:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
but not very power efficient though.

taking 12v DC, inverting it to 230v AC, then running through the TV's power supply to turn it back into 12v DC again.
so much more efficient to plug directly into a 12v supply.

I wondered about that, reckon you must loose at least 20% of your power this way. Will go for a dedicated 12v unit, just trying to find a good unit at the right price with built in DVD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
This is more of an issue with British vans, resulting from some apparent agreement on safety. The leisure 12V system is disabled when the engine is started so that electronic items cannot affect the engine management system. However, it doesn't seem to bother German manufacturers (unless things have changed very recently). Our 12V leisure system remains live all the time the main 12V switch is on. I have seen reports of this problem from a number of British van owners, but never from the owner of a German or French van before.

My autotrail switches off the 12v system when you start the engine - so powering a rear tv could be a problem. :Sad:
MikeD

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My autotrail switches off the 12v system when you start the engine - so powering a rear tv could be a problem. :Sad:
MikeD

Take a lead to tv straight from L/Bat :winky:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Forgot to post yesterday that when we took the van to get some diesel we checked the 12v leisure circuit with the engine running and found that it is live.

You learn something every day ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Forgot to post yesterday that when we took the van to get some diesel we checked the 12v leisure circuit with the engine running and found that it is live.

You learn something every day ::bigsmile:

Need to check this with the dealer when I go back tomorrow, thanks for the reminder: one more for the list

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back