12v TV & Satellite system (2 Viewers)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Can any of you aware people make a recommendation re a simple 12v tv and satellite system please?

We tend to watch a little tv but not so much, also wild camp a bit too and don't wish for an inverter.

Did think about using the laptop but too much data there to want to risk by leaving it in the MH.

Thanks as always

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Got my 19" 12 volt TV with built in DVD online for less than £100 and my 12 volt freesat box from Maplin for about £80. The Katherien sat dish off ebay secondhand was £50. Its not necessary to spend a fortune on mobile sat TV.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Asda do a 16" LED TV for £85... It is mains only BUT even with using a small invertor (150w) it draws very little in power. 1.66 amps from memory.. Very slim and light, plays movies off a USB stick etc. http://direct.asda.com/Luxor-16-inch-LED-TV-with-Built-in-Freeview---Black/000505758,default,pd.html

Keep a a watch out for suitcase camping kits when on offer (Aldi / Lidl etc) as they are good value for starter systems. You can always upgrade the dish at a later date.. Usually the receivers are 12vdv BUT you do need to check..

Or.. Link Removed

I would not worry about the invertor use, you wont be drawing huge amounts of power by having a low power TV and the Sat system should only draw about 1amp.. So you can work on about 3amps max..

ALSO,,, Check out B&Q.. Been a while since I went in but they were doing some reasonable priced kits..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
if you want to treat yourself then I can thoroughly recommend my set up. It consists of a Camos dome for your saterlitte, they come in at about £1200ish. I then have an Avtex 12v tv , again not cheap at around £400 depending on model. I also now have a Javelin 12v sky box which I paid about £40 for. It is in my mind the complete 12v set up but not cheap. However I bought mine from ebay, I paid £695 for the sat system now had it nearly 4 years, I paid £180 for the Avtex and never let me down.
The great thing is that you can take the system with you for ever.
We too do not watch alot of TV so it sounds excessive, but, when we do watch it, we can flick a switch or two and job done without killing the batteries.:thumb:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks everybody, lots of good options here.

We will travel mainly in France, will all these options have enough dish size/power say down to the Med?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

We will travel mainly in France, will all these options have enough dish size/power say down to the Med?

My option works right through France and I have the smaller 30cm Camos, The bigger one (40cm) will work for sure,
here is a link to there web site Broken Link Removed.

Road Pro and eddie vanbitz have a good selection too. Eddie in fact offers a good discount for Funsters,
Link Removed

go on spoil yourself:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
maplin do a range of small 12volt tv's and they have satellite dishes and 12 volt receivers also.

you don't have to go for a "mobile dish" you can use any old satellite dish and clamp it to your rear ladder or stick it on a pole in the ground whilst parked.

although if wilding all the time then a through the roof manual crank up will be the cheapest option.
but if you are wilding under or amongst trees regardless of what system you have it may not work.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
sat system

You won't go wrong if you get a Multimo system from Roadpro I've had one for past 6 yrs No problem:thumb:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have a Multimo satellite dish in my garage, unused since I had an Oyster system installed. You can have it for £50 inc postage if you want one.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We have an Avtex TV with built in DVD (watched Peter Kay last night) and our Sat Receiver is a Megasat about the size of a cigarette packet. Unbelievable how many stations it picks up for its miniscule size. Both were bought through Jackson Satellite & TV of Wakefield who attend the big shows. Reception is via a Camos crank up which I'm pleasantly surprised with as it was on the van when we bought her. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Camos Flat Sat Plus and a Black Box decoder purchased from Road Pro is fine in France.

I'm not to sure about a lot of the claims made about reception further south.

Jim

:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We have a Neta system that works in the South of France

We have a Neta dome satellite system, works fine in the South of France.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back