12v TV ( not Avtex ) recommendation

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Phill D, May 19, 2014.

1. Phill D

Phill D

At the End of last week the TV in our Kitchen decided it was time to be going to the great TV in the sky and stopped producing a picture. its been ill for a while now :Doh:

Anyway i want a replacement that i can also use in the van. we currently have an Avtex in the van that is about 5 years old and it has all the bells and whistles but not that impressed with the picture or sound.

there was a few threads over a while back recommending a suitable low priced 16" - 19" TV and i cannot seem to locate the threads in the search. probably not searching the correct words.:Doh:

can anyone either point out the thread or recommend a TV.

Cheers.. oh and before i get the comments about not needing a TV in the motorhome "I have BEEN TOLD we do need on"!:Blush:

2. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

Have a look at TV Village for the cello range
    http://www.tv-village.net
    We have had ours in the van for 3 years now , works great and a good viewing angle

• Like Like x 1
  3. oozzie

oozzie Funster

12v tv

Hi, we have got a luxor 19in tv with dvd. Bought it from asda for about £100 then purchased a 12v cable of ebay for £12 eveything seems to work fine for us. In the booklet, it says it uses 47 watts. hope thats some help.

oozzie

• Like Like x 1
  4. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

there is a company on ebay called pc customiser and they are selling a 16 inch 12/24v tv that boasts a low 13watt [1amp] power usage complete with a stabilised power lead for about £150 . this would be ideal for periods where no ehu was available .

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i have got a tevion, aldi special in my van. good picture and sound quality and has been going strong for coming on 5 years now. the majority of cheap 19" tvs are 12v but not sold as motorhome accessories so much cheaper. look in your local tesco, currys or other retailer at their tvs. if it has a "brick" transformer in the power lead, it will be 12v 99% of the time. just pick up a 12v stabilised supply off ebay for about £10 - £15

• Like Like x 1
  6. mto

mto Read Only Funster

We have had a Meos for about 3 years now, combined TV & dvd which, from memory, was less than £200, and it is fine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

We have a cracking Finlux 19 inch TV/DVD/freeview combo, has a cracking picture quality on all methods including memory stick replaying.

The sound quality on its own is not 10 out of 10, however one of the best we have heard from a small, flat screen TV - we connected ours to the van speaker system and now have sound surround - 12 volt powered.

Highly recommended, bought from Finlux direct, though I am led to believe they are pretty scarce now - the 22 inch is even better though a tad too big for the area in our van so opted for the 19inch which is spot on.
    :thumb:

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman. :Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Merle

Merle Funster

We have a Cello with freesat and DVD, 12 & 240 volt, low power consumption and wide viewing angle. Picture quality is superb. Bought ours from RoadPro on a show deal :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

polaroid for 89 quid from asda . make up a 12v lead they work really well. i bought a bright pink one in asda last year 49 quid . i can live with the colour for a 40 quid saving . i use a 4 way jack plug at the tv and a lead with a fused cigarette lighter plug .made it up from bits i had kicking around ..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Merle

Merle Funster

After that cheap plonk Al all the colours are the same to you :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Finlux 12v for us too - have this one http://www.finluxdirect.com/led-tvs...dm/invt/22f6072-dm&bklist=icat,3,shop,tvcombi
    Good value for money (was on offer at £139 just after Xmas), great picture & dvd playback, ok sound, light for hanging on a tv bracket, low energy consumption, built in Freeview & PVR function so no digibox needed & have optional extended warranty - 22" (in stock online) is only slightly bigger case than 19" (not showing on their website at the moment oos?) as very slim frame. We have just bought a lead to plug it in to cab speaker system but not tried yet so don't know if it will be an improvement.
    Tried Avtex combi tv & dvd playback was appalling picture quality so returned but do have Avtex aerial & their hard sided storage case & both are excellent. This is a great bracket for easy removal of tv when travelling http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/vision-plus-quick-release-tv-bracket-black.html :thumb:

12. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

This is the first time I have heard negative views on Avtex TV's just very surprised, we have two and cannot fault them bought them on recommendation from others, the cheap ones we have tried the sound was tinny, but guess each to their own as long as it works for you is the main thing.

Sorry didn`t mean to highjack the thread.

13. Wombles

Wombles Funster

We bought the latest model Avtex & the picture was good & sound ok but it was playing back dvds that let it down both on picture & sound quality so we had to return it. Being able to watch a good film at the end of a busy day when away is one of our favourite family things to do (especially in areas with poor tv reception) so an essential function for us.

14. Fermenter

Fermenter Read Only Funster

Cello for me. I am very impressed with the pricing, sound and picture. Plays DVD and has a USB port too. Bought from Amazon. Decided Avtex was too expensive as don't watch too much tv anyway.

15. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Akura for us, have 2 work on 12v or 240, first one a 16" is still going strong and is several years old now, bought a new one a couple of years ago with built in freeview and dvd player which is 18.5/19", they came with a 12v cig plug connector as well as the 240v they are multi frequency so can be used to pick up local tv broadcasts in europe, pc connection etc

16. outkast

outkast Read Only Funster

17. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

18. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yup lots of people bought Finlux on my advice :Laughing:

[​IMG]

Big enough to watch in bed too
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

I know you said not an avtex but yours is 5 years old and models and technology has significantly changed since then.
    Our new one has excellent picture, so it may be worth looking at the new ones before dismissing

• Like Like x 2
  20. horshamjack

horshamjack Funster

• Like Like x 1