12V TV and DVD recommendations (1 Viewer)

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi Everyone

I would like to buy a 12V TV/DVD combo, it needs to have the mount holes on the back, 15" or bigger. The TV is for our toddler to watch as we drive along, and for use by all of us when we're parked.

Please, do you have any recommendations

I have a TV bracket like this which I would like to reuse:
4871.jpg

Thanks in advance

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I got one of these Link Removed a couple of weeks ago and when my mate saw it he went and got one for his boat.

Very good reception and a lovely picture. Also has the benefit of being 12v.:thumb:

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
wow, thanks that looks perfect, out of stock :-(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Budget for one of these to go with it. Excellent piece of kit and it will protect your telly from high voltage when the engine is running. Also stops the telly from switching off when a tap is turned on etc.

Just contact them with the telly model and he'll tell you which plug you need.

Is the out of stock not for home delivery. Over 5 available at my local Argos for collection.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Here is a more expensive solution, but the one posted earlier was a mains input TV and you asked for a 12V. You could, of course, power a 230V model from an inverter.

>> Link Removed <<

We have had one of these since December and we are very pleased with it.

Philip

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi We too have the 12V GRUNDIG (15 ins ) for about 2 yrs without a problem -- wired direct to tv Ariel socket :thumb:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont forget the hab 12v electrics may switch off when you start the engine.

if it does then you'll need a 12v extension lead to plug into the dashboard 12v socket..

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
I fitted a chrome socket which is wired to an inverter and inverter wired direct to liesure battery.I run a 20 inch tv/dvd combi from this when travelling,never had a problem with this set up and travelled thousands of miles with this in use.
Dave
Ps screen must not be visable to driver when travelling.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I have a Meouse 20" Flat Screen with integrated DVD player and a load of other sockets on the side that I haven't got a clue about.

It operates primarily from 12V but can run off 230V. Its the dogs doo da's. If you look at it with a view to buying it check out the weight.

It will take a bracket on the back but I'm wary of putting a lot of weight on the wall. I have mine sat on a tray.

You can see one at wedodigital or just google it. Its claimed that their made for the leisure industry.

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Thanks for the replies everyone

This MEOS 20" is top of the list:

Link Removed

I emailed wedodigital today and they have already replied, saying this TV has a built in regulator. :thumb:

N&K

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years

Link Removed

I emailed wedodigital today and they have already replied, saying this TV has a built in regulator. :thumb:

N&K

If you look closely I think you MIGHT find that it's the same telly as the Grundig. Even the stand and 'zapper' is identical.

I had a 10" Lloytron, exactly the same as the far higher priced Avtex.

Grundig £145,99

Amperor stabilised 12v supply £39.00

Total £184.99

Meos £249:Eeek:

And the Amperor 12v unit looks a bit tougher than the Meos one.:thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years

Link Removed

N&K

If you look at the link you'll see the 'regulator' it's the fag lighter thingy, it's not built in at all Link Removed

It looks way inferior to the Amperor unit which operates between 10v and 28v.

http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/pdf/12v_Stabiliser.pdf

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
If you look at the link you'll see the 'regulator' it's the fag lighter thingy, it's not built in at all Link Removed

It looks way inferior to the Amperor unit which operates between 10v and 28v.

http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/pdf/12v_Stabiliser.pdf

Hello Derek, I'm not a techi and so don't know about regulators and what have you.

The fag lighter thingy doesn't plug into a fag lighter thingy in my mh, it plugs into a factory installed socket that looks like a fag lighter thingy socket.

I've never seen an Amperor and so don't know anything about them but I doubt very much that it will be way superior to the Meos.

As said I reckon the Meos is the dogs doo da's and so do a lot of others that I have spoken too.

I got mine from fleabay at a special offer price.

Its a telly, not a rocket too the moon :winky:

Jim

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Hello Derek, I'm not a techi and so don't know about regulators and what have you.

The fag lighter thingy doesn't plug into a fag lighter thingy in my mh, it plugs into a factory installed socket that looks like a fag lighter thingy socket.

I've never seen an Amperor and so don't know anything about them but I doubt very much that it will be way superior to the Meos.

As said I reckon the Meos is the dogs doo da's and so do a lot of others that I have spoken too.

I got mine from fleabay at a special offer price.

Its a telly, not a rocket too the moon :winky:

Jim

You've missed the point. They are the same telly but Meos have supplied a far inferior regulated supply and have charged much more dosh for it.

My Lloytron v Avtex analogy also makes that point.

Feel free to throw your money away by all means but if you don't want to then my suggestion holds up.

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Two things strike me:

1) You want to reuse a domestic wall swivel bracket - You may want to either use one specifically designed for motorhome use or at least use a retaining clip / bungy or whatever to secure it in place whilst on the road or it will swing about all over the place.

2) You want to play DVDs on the move - most tv inbuilt DVDs are not as robust as the CD slots in the car radios and there is a possibility that you could have the picture going west or worse cause damage to the set after hitting one of the (infrequent:Doh:) potholes you see in the UK.

And before you all shout that you have travelled many miles with yours playing note the word "possibility".

By the way have you tried having the nipper in the back of a vehicle watching the telly - many of 'em get a bit pat n mick. (sick) doing that.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
You've missed the point. They are the same telly but Meos have supplied a far inferior regulated supply and have charged much more dosh for it.

My Lloytron v Avtex analogy also makes that point.

Feel free to throw your money away by all means but if you don't want to then my suggestion holds up.

Money too burn Derek Money too burn, you have no idea what I paid for my telly. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. But a good dependable telly :RollEyes:

Jim
::bigsmile:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Please don't think I'm knocking your telly, quite the reverse because it's the same as my Grundig.:thumb:

My response was aimed at the O.P. who asked for advise before buying. I was lucky enough to spot this telly on a forum as well and luckily the socket was the same size as the Amperor jack plug that I owned anyway.

If your identical telly cost less then the done thing would be to post a link for the O.P.s benefit surely.

The Meos price is the one quoted by the O.P. not me.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Here's the Meos for£218.00 + £14.70 delivery.Link Removed

It has a record facility which I hadn't noticed before, I don't think the Grundig has and I'm not sure that the Grundig has Secam either.

So although it is more expensive it does offer some more facilities.:thumb:

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
I would like to buy a 12V TV/DVD combo, it needs to have the mount holes on the back, 15" or bigger. The TV is for our toddler to watch as we drive along, and for use by all of us when we're parked.

Have a look at the new AVTEX 19 inch 193dr...plays and records through memory stick...ideal for the liitle on when on the move IE: no loss of picture that you sometimes get with dvd..FM signal to play radio staions through cab/hab speakers.IMO (but others will say differently) two companys..AVTEX and MEOS build a good quality TV designed especially for m/h or caravan.If you are interested i'm upgradeing the system in my m/h...dish/tv/reciever in a couple of weeks time if it is any use to you...Dave

philipjackson

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Ace
Exp
Tv & dvd

I looked at buying a TV for the van and I think they are a rip off. I have a laptop with a 16" wide screen. I bought a USB digital receiver stick for £12. I use it through Windows Media Centre and plug it into the TV aerial on the van. Perfect picture and the laptop plays DVDs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back