12v to 5v adapter? Replace sat dish with aerial? (1 Viewer)

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
I have a Cyclone media player which plugs into 240V (3pin plug/adaptor on one end, jack type plug on the other) Would be great to run it off 12v sometimes - does something exist that would allow me to do this?

Hetty has a pop-up satellite dish which in my uninformed opinion is probably old-hat nowadays. How easy would it be to replace with an aerial? Or should I keep the dish?

Thnaks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A USB socket would generate 5 volts DC from 12 volts DC but it depends how much power is needed. The best you will get out of a USB socket is around 2 Amps which equates to 10W.

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
I have a Cyclone media player which plugs into 240V (3pin plug/adaptor on one end, jack type plug on the other) Would be great to run it off 12v sometimes - does something exist that would allow me to do this?

Hetty has a pop-up satellite dish which in my uninformed opinion is probably old-hat nowadays. How easy would it be to replace with an aerial? Or should I keep the dish?

Thnaks

Found what I need and thought it may help others:

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've got the cyclone 3 hdmi player with 8gb storage facility.
It says it will work from its supplied usb charger but it doesn't. It switches off and the screen says no hdmi input.
When I put the 240v charger in and plug it into the inverter it works fine.
I was in email contact with the seller on ebay for ages as I wanted it to work via 12v and he offered to refund but have decided to keep it as postage to and fro France is too expensive and decided to work with it.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I have the sumvision cyclone primus media player which is 12v using a 240v adapter I use a sata 2tb drive and recently tested it and it works fine on 12v direct in the m-home.
siumvision.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Thanks

I must admit to being confused by the thread title and your comment it runs off 240v. If it will only run off 240v then you need an inverter to turn your 12v supply into 240v. If it will run off 5 volts then yes, some sort of USB socket thingy will work, assuming it can provide the wattage but is it like the other one shown here and needs a 12v supply? If so you probably should check the polarity is correct before plugging anything into it.

And a "pop up" satellite dish? If you mean one which is cranked up manually then they are fine, my MH has one but it is for satellite TV so you either need a satellite box or a TV which can take the satellite signal directly. If you want to watch freeview, like you probably do at home then the satellite dish won't help at all and you need some sort of aerial, of which there are several different ones available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back