Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@premiere99 Thanks for the info Clive.
I actually received one of the 2 port revolt usb chargers yesterday from that same supplier :) as i did a google search the other day for the best usb charger and that came at top or near it , as i wanted a powerful 2 port charger for the FRONT CAB area so we could DECENTLY charge 2 phones while driving :D
But yip i might just buy another one for the rear and install i cigarette port as you have.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's 12v, how accurate do you need. Actually reads 0.1 different from panel, less than 1 % difference, but how accurate is the panel?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
USB chargers have increased in power over the years, from the original 500mA (ie 1/2 an amp) to 1 amp and then to 2.1 amps. They all run at 5.0 volts, so old and new devices can all use the high power sockets.

But did you know that the latest version is a 'Quick Charge 3.0' socket. It works with all the old devices exactly as before. Newer devices can tell the charger to use quick charge mode, which will charge up to 80% in half an hour, then settle back to normal charge mode to top up to 100%. This is possible because the USB cable has 4 wires, not just 2 as in other charger types (laptop, shaver etc). The extra wires allow communication between charger and device.

I bought one for a Samsung Note 4, and was surprised to find it worked in Quick Charge mode for the old Note 2 as well. Looking in the small print of the Note 2 spec, I can see it will do this.

They don't seem to be much more expensive than some of the old 1 amp USB chargers, so check this out before you buy if you have a late model Samsung etc. Not sure if it works with Apples.

I bought one of these, but didn't search round for the best price so I'm sure other funsters can do better.

Amazon product ASIN B01FLUHF9W

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Link didn't register again.

It's an AngLink 4-port USB-C Quick Charge 3.0 Car charger from Amazon

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
The problem isn't so much the power limitations of USB supplies (500mA originally spec) but the ability of the battery to cycle recharging at higher levels for any period of time. It is more a question of design of the product being charged (or at least the internal battery) than the design of a cheap constant voltage, variable current, charger

iPhones and Kindles, for example, are notorious for the loss of battery capacity/life when repeatedly charged at high current. That and/or bursting into flames during the night. Ask anyone who has either of these, they will all tell you that the time between charges drops dramatically the more they are cycled. Certainly high end electronics employ smart battery technology, which monitors heat (battery and environment), voltage rise/drop and other factors during both charge and discharge cycles. As far as I am aware, this doesn't apply to iPhones and kindles, but to professional video recording kit and military radios costing £thousands

I accept that there is some element of intelligence creeping in to lower end charge controllers, but why risk a £500 phone and possibly another case of exploding battery syndrome by relying on the claims of a Chinese made £10 adaptor (Anglink are not registered as a business in the UK)? As the handbooks of all these expensive iPhone etc all say, keep to the original charger, or at least ensure that they comply with the same specifications the equipment was designed for to safeguard against risk of explosion or fire.

Now who would I believe when it comes to knowing about their products? The manufacturer or someone trying to flog a Chinese import?

Nothing personal, but for these reasons, personal choice suggests against exceeding 1A (1,000 mA) USB charging of such devices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@autorouter Thanks got the link ok , but last night i ordered the charger already.
@pyro thanks for the heads up on fast charging / battery life.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Make sure that you get sockets that can deliver the current needed to charge your devices. Your tablet will probably need 2.1amp and your phone may only need 1amp - but check. I also seem to recall that these dual sockets will only deliver the 2.1amp if the other socket is not being used - so perhaps get 2 pairs of sockets installed at the same time.

I have not used one of these, but it seems to provide more than the usual 2.1 amps
Quote from manufacturer: The item we are selling right now rated at 2.4 amp each usb port.
Amazon product ASIN B00M9T60ZO

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back