12v sockets (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Hi Rapido guys and galls.
For the first time this weekend I have had call to use the 12v sockets and find they are different to the normal "cigar lighter" type. They are smaller. Are adaptors freely available or is it easier to change the sockets, or have I just had too much Shiraz and am not thinking straight??
Yors in anticipation
C

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Link Removed

They are different but youcan get plugs with a removable piece so they can be used ineither socket.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah , common and you can get plugs that fit either , have a look on ebay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cranky
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
thank you my friends. Ebay to the rescue once more. I would not like to be the one to deny swmbo her diet of soap:ROFLMAO:.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Rapido guys and galls.
For the first time this weekend I have had call to use the 12v sockets and find they are different to the normal "cigar lighter" type. They are smaller. Are adaptors freely available or is it easier to change the sockets, or have I just had too much Shiraz and am not thinking straight??
Yors in anticipation
C

conversion plug hella european to a normal cigar socket
Link Removed

Link Removed

$T2eC16dHJGgFFm4WW4I4BSGz(-V8TQ~~60_12.JPG

Link Removed

$(KGrHqUOKpwFGOsYvcy9BRkOjBvYO!~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Din sockets (also referred to as Hella sockets) are standard on most continental vans. In my opinion they provide a more secure connection than the US cigar lighter type as the centre pin is held in by a clip, rather than being a simple contact fit.
Another single plug converter option is in the link below (I use one of these) - you may be able to buy cheaper on Ebay. Alternatively rewire the appliance(s) with Procar Din plugs shown in an earlier reply, that have a removable red sleeve allowing them to be used in cigar lighter sockets as well.
https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/12...car-din--lighter-socket-converter-plug-69.htm

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
while Mel's idea of a converter lead is OK i wouldnt use fag lighter sockets and plugs give the option.

i also wouldnt change the din/hella sockets either...change the plugs for hella type.
far superior to fag lighter plugs and sockets and capable of carrying more current....up to 16 amps in general compared to 10 amps for a fag socket

hella/din plugs have a positive latching effect in the socket whereas fag plugs rely on friction on the earth blades and can work loose in the socket causing electrical arcing and fires.

i had two sockets melt because of this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cranky
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
Thanks for all your replies, I have ordered an adaptor for now and will look at changing a few plugs in the future, although just spent the entire bank holiday weekend with no telly. Bliss!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back