Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
I have a need for a 12v socket above our fixed bed.
There are 2 12v lights above, would it be simple enough to take a feed off one of these?
If I have to take the feed from the leisure battery and thread a cable it will mean going behind a fixed fridge/freezer.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
taking a supply off the lights may overload the wiring depending what you intend using it for.

better to run a new supply if possible and fit a 10 or 15amp fuse

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I'm with pappajohn. The lighting circuit is fuse rated/protected for the lighting load. Much better to do as suggested and fit a new fused supply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
theres a couple of reasons not to draw power from a lighting circuit. most importantly you need thicker cable to carry the current. running a long length of thin wire will introduce a voltage drop as well due to resistance in the wire

it may seem harder to run separately fused cables from the battery for a 12v accessory socket, but it needs to be done that way

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Could you not run another feed from an unused position in your fuse box, or from an existing 12v socket circuit? In mine it would be simple as all the electrics are directly beneath the bed.

OP
OP
Hillbum

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Thanks

Thanks for replies. I suspected that I would have to find a way to route a new fused cable. It is for use with a CPAP machine (breathing device) so it needs o be a reliable supply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I have a need for a 12v socket above our fixed bed.
There are 2 12v lights above, would it be simple enough to take a feed off one of these?
If I have to take the feed from the leisure battery and thread a cable it will mean going behind a fixed fridge/freezer.

Couldn't you take the vent covers, for the fridge, off the outside and run the cabling past it in that way instead of pulling the unit out?

Alternatively, wouldn't a dedicated UPS be a better, simpler option if the supply you require is for medical equipment?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back