12v Power Socket For Tv (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I have just fit our 12v/240v TV into a locker and having done so moved it too far away from the existing 12v sockets for the lead to reach. The dilemma I face is should I just use a trailing 12v socket like this one.......
Broken Link Removed

which will look a little untidy unless routed through cupboards etc

OR

Fit a socket like this one....
Broken Link Removed

and hardwire it.

The preferred fitting site for the socket is on the side of the locker and is very close to a spotlight like this....
20150620_113510.jpg

Bearing in mind the TV has a power consumption of 36 watts, would the wiring to the lights be of sufficient size to take the extra load? According to the handbook (Lunar Roadstar 720) these 'eyeball reading lights' are rated at 15 watts. I have not, as yet, had sight of the cables running to these lights so cannot describe the colour code / thickness of them.

Whilst on this subject, has anyone any idea how to remove this type of light fitting? There is a slot where the aluminium meets the black plastic base which I imagine you would put a flat blade screwdriver and twist but I am wary of breaking the fitting.

Thanks
Barry

Last edited:
OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Hopefully now edited. Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@namwaldog Different TV, but I faced exactly the same problem regarding an extra socket. Mrs W won't have trailing leads everywhere!

I used the overhead light as a 12v source. Frequently, you don't have to dismantle the lamp body; the supply is accessed via the locker where the cables enter the back of the lamp. There is normally a plastic cover plate over the cable entry to prevent cable abrasion or damage when clothes etc are stuffed in there. Not sure what your set up is though?

36 watts at 12v is just 3 amps, so providing you don't overload the socket, it should cope ok. Someone else will correct me if this is not appropriate for your setup. It works ok for me. Hope this helps?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would consider a Hella plug and socket.
much safer than a cig lighter socket as the hella has a positive click lock when inserted unlike a cig lighter socket and plug which can slide loose and get hot.

Broken Link Removed

And the plugs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRUCK-CAM...525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c35cdfad

Or the flat type...no protruding plug if fitted under a cupboard etc.

Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with pappajohn

install a new Hella socket.. you can feed it from the back of the existing 12v socket rather than using the light circuit.. never a great idea.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
In our last van I took power from a 12v spot lamp that we never used by using insulated spade connectors & a 3amp fused positive.
I used shrink wrap to keep everything neat.
12v telly/DVD worked great, fuse never blew, never had to plug in or unplug anything.
In our current van it's the same telly, but I've been able to mount it close to the sockets so not bothered to hardwire.

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for all the replies. I've just had a couple of hours in the van taking various things to bits to identify a route for any possible cabling and think I have worked it out. I reckon it will be a run of about 5 metres. Should I go for flat twin cable at 0.5mm at 11amp or 0.75mm at 14 amp. The TV has a power consumption of 36 watts so a draw of 3 amp?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Basic rule.. always go for tghe thickest you can reasonably use ..A 5 metre run is not overly long and either size will proly do just fine.. I just prefer to make sure as much juice as possible gets out the end !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back