12v Multi Socket Charger With Usb That Supports Higher Current Charging (1 Viewer)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Hi,
I have a cheap 3 socket 12v extension lead with USB that I plug into the 12v TV socket to charge my smartphone and tablet overnight. The trouble is that these devices really need more current than the extension sockets provide and hence take a long, long time to recharge.
Has anyone found a multi-socket extension with USB and standard 12v socket that delivers the higher current that modern tech devices need?
Thanks,
Bill
P.S. Just to be clear, I have a double socket splitter that plugs into the TV socket. One of these sockets is used for the TV and the other is used for the lead to the multi socket extension that is used to charge the tech devices. The existing multi-socket extension has a max load of 0.5A and it's this limit that is the problem.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we bought one of these and have had good success with it, although some Apple products don't seem to like it, but they seem unhappy with anything that doesn't have an apple logo on it, too clever for their own good or very clever manufacturing maybe :)

Broken Link Removed

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we found all the adapter types slow to charge and unreliable for staying in
weve changed on of our lighter sockets for one of these
Broken Link Removed
and im going to fit another in the rear of the leisure battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suggest just fitting USB sockets as suggested above. Much easier, once installed than faffing about with splitters and extensions.

But for a really quick charge don't forget something like this.

Just keep it charged up and when something needs a quick blast just connect it - works brilliantly.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
For Apple devices seek out the appropriate portapow lead to overcome slow charging from third party USB's
Broken Link Removed

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I suggest just fitting USB sockets as suggested above. Much easier, once installed than faffing about with splitters and extensions.

But for a really quick charge don't forget something like this.

Just keep it charged up and when something needs a quick blast just connect it - works brilliantly.
+1 for this

One of the most useful gadgets that Ive bought.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
How about

We have a slightly different model which is no longer available but are very pleased with it.

Sorry! Should have added something like this to split the power for your TV

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Alfi have now is the shop multi 3 sigaret sockets and 2 USB one 1A the second 2.1A that will do for older IPad.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
A lot of the cheaper plug in usb chargers, as you've probably found, only pump out 1A at 5v which is half of what most wall chargers give so twice as long to charge up.

Whilst searching online tonight for bits for the upcoming 12v upgrade of "Charlotte", I came across this... http://www.simplysplitcharge.co.uk/shop/viewitem.cgi?PSUSB010

2A from each usb socket and a lighter socket too :)

Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
Hia

Just jumped onto this thread as it is something I am thinking of having fitted in the living area of my motorhome
As I am apple user was looking at the

TWIN USB POWER SOCKETS + STANDARD 20A POWER SOCKET PANEL
From Simply Split Charge Ā£13-99
Or

Anker 40W 5-Port USB Car Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 5; iPad Air 2, mini 3; Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge S5; Note 4 3; Nexus 6 9 and More (Black)

Amazon Ā£11-99

Any ideas

Sorry don't know why it's gone bold

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I've got a Garmin high speed charger that seems to do the job for me, it feels like a quality item too as some chargers can feel pretty flimsy and light.

Broken Link Removed

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We changed one of our front cigar lighters to a twin use socket and it was so good that we fitted another twin usb socket in our bedroom for overnight phone charging. .. Going to fit one more somewhere near the dining table for passengers to charge on the move.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We have two of the already mentioned units from Aldi with 3 12v sockets & 2 usb's.
One in the cab & one in the lounge, we use them a lot & found them to be very good.
We charge our iPad & iPhone overnight but with experimentation have found it only works if you do the following:
Plug the lead into the iPad/iPhone before switching off, if switched off before plugging in,the apple stuff switches itself back on & won't charge.
So, after your all plugged in turn the iPad/iPhone COMPLETELY off.
It will be fully charged overnight (y)

Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
Hia

So is it a
CARCHETĀ® Dual Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter 12V Charger USB Power Adapter

And a

PortaPow Fast Charge 30cm Apple Lightning USB Cable iPhone iPad Air High Speed

Will that sort me

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
T hats the socket I went for but not fitted yet so can not give any feedback on it yet. As far as the cable goes do you not already have an Iphone usb cable? if not that one looks OK but I am an Android user and do not have an I phone maybe someone who does can tell you.

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@mitzimad & @sdc77 - I think I'm going to change one of the front 12v sockets for a double USB connector and probably add one in the rear as well. How did you gain access to the existing sockets? I tried getting at them by removing some of the star bolts holding the central glove compartment in place but I don't think that is going to get me access from below. I also tried pulling one of the sockets out from the top but it only came half way and I am loathe to use too much force!
Thanks,
Bill

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@mitzimad & @sdc77 - found the answer for myself. Remove the rubber mat in the drinks holder and there's a star screw. Remove the screw and the section of fascia that holds the 12v sockets and the bank of switches can be removed. Isn't Mr Google clever!

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Agree with mitzimad we fitted this
image.jpg

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@bill orr .. I'm glad you discovered how to do this and how surprisingly simple it is. Just a point here. I did this some time ago after doing a forum search and found techno 's in depth instructions .. It's always worth doing a search on here when you have a need to do something or alter something when we have such people eager to pass on their tips and tricks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back