Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Hi all, we went away at weekend and set up in our daughters parking space as beds for family party were lacking. All fine, lights worked, but couldnt get tv or sockets to work on 12v, any ideas anyone as to why that might be.

Thanks in advance, :Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I take it we are talking about 12V sockets running a 12V TV?

If so did you check fuses for the power supply your 12V sockets?

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Hmmm being a woman not sure, the normal van sockets and an avtex tv which I belive can run off 12 v. Is there a different fuse box for 12v? All works on main OK. Love motorhoming but hate it when things go wrong and we are not technically minded. Thank you.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Avtex will work off both 240V and 12V supplies.

Was the TV plugged into a "normal" house (square 3 pin plug type) socket or a smaller 2 pin socket, or cigarette lighter type socket?

The "normal" house (square 3 pin plug type) sockets will work off the mains 240V when you are on hook up, but will not be powered when you are off hook up.
The 12V sockets will be running from the habitation battery when you have no mains hook up.

Yes, there are separate fuses for the 12V system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Durrrhhh thats why then LOL. However how does the tv work off 12v then please. Callum sorry missed your post asking about plugs too. Thanks for reply. Checked out only fuses we could find but all seemed OK.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Avtex will work off both 240V and 12V.

We always keep ours plugged into the 12V socket, with the 12V power supply lead.

That way we never have to swop the power leads over whether we are on hook up or not as the 12V supply is always powered.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
K into front of 2nd st on left hand needle then into front of first st - called T2R :Smile:

OK admit I havent come across this one myself before and googled it!! What are you knitting?

By the way TV still doesnt work on 12v, lead is OK as light comes on when in 12v socket but tv wont work, will contact Avtex I think.

Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
K into front of 2nd st on left hand needle then into front of first st - called T2R :Smile:

OK admit I havent come across this one myself before and googled it!! What are you knitting?

By the way TV still doesnt work on 12v, lead is OK as light comes on when in 12v socket but tv wont work, will contact Avtex I think.

Didn't think of using google! thanks! It's a vintage style cardigan - need to use up my stash!

Sorry the tv is not working! Good luck with it all!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

is there a power source switch on the back/side of the tv....12v or 230v
could be a slide switch or a rocker switch

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My 12v TV (by Foehn & Hirsch) has an unusual quirk. If you connect the power pack into the TV first then plug it into the 12v socket it won't start up. If you plug the power pack into the 12v socket first and then plug it into the TV it works fine. It's as if the power pack needs an initial surge of power before it will run the TV.

I thought I'd chuck that one in to add to the confusion.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Well we are sorted of sorts. Plugged tv into 12v socket on dashboard and works fine, but it must be the 12v socket on van wall not working as tv will not work in that. Thanks everyone

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back