12v electrics whilst van travelling (1 Viewer)

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Hello,

My 12v electrics turns off when the van is in motion and therefore the Waeco condenser fridge stops working. Its a brand new autotrail jazz panel van. The fridge works perfectly when stationary with the 12v power on. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I don't know definitively, but I believe many British vans automatically turn off the hab electrics when on the move... It's a "feature", I believe...

I would of thought the fridge would work though...

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
With an absorption type of fridge, vans are usually wired so that the fridge is on a separate 12v circuit that is only live when the engine is running. Most of the remaining 12v circuits in the van are switched off automatically when the engine runs. When stationary they are either mains or gas.

A motorhome compressor fridge, which I believe the waeco is, is 12v and has an optional mains adaptor. I believe the jazz is fitted with the mains adaptor so when stationary you can run the fridge on mains. Was it connected to mains when it was working? If it was maybe there is a switch to switch it over to 12v,

Otherwise, if it is not working when the engine runs I would take it back to the dealer. It cannot be right as it is!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well ours is a Dometic so has an A setting - so that it automatically transfers to whatever is available, so when moving it looks for 12v and works on that - it isn't hooked up to mains, the gas is turned off, so that's it's only option. It is on a separate wiring circuit to the normal 12v sockets etc in the hab area.

But even so, it does sometimes lose it's way, so normally just after we start off, I sneak into the rear of the van and check it's on 12v - if not, I press the appropriate buttons to make it manually. (I don't do it whilst stationary on the drive, because I'm the woman checking the traffic as Pete backs out)

If it won't go onto 12v at all when the engine is running , then yes you do have a problem with wiring.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
we have a Auto Cruise Rythm and our fridge stays on whilst on the move - unless we switch it off manually

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would expect a condenser fridge to run off the habitation ion battery when parked up and off the engine battery when driving, sounds like a change over relay has failed or the van has been incorrectly wired.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I don't know definitively, but I believe many British vans automatically turn off the hab electrics when on the move... It's a "feature", I believe...

Spot on. Some trade agreement of what is right with no legal basis. Johnny Foreigner does nothing so daft.

Many blighted Brits just alter the relay to keep the power on all the time. Some Googling will show the way.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your Autocruise Jazz (not Autotrail) should NOT have the fridge linked directly to the control panel - it should work whether you are stationary (ie engine off) or when travelling so something is wrong with the installation if this isn't the case - you need to contact your dealer and get it sorted out.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Spot on. Some trade agreement of what is right with no legal basis. Johnny Foreigner does nothing so daft.

A hang over from caravans like a lot of the layouts and poor construction.

Its a requirement of the British organisation, the caravan council, for getting caravan council certification/recognition.
no legal clout in the slightest.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Its a requirement of the British organisation, the caravan council, for getting caravan council certification/recognition.
no legal clout in the slightest.
It was an easy get out when EMC rules came in, turn off the caravan electrics rather than redesign them so that they don't cause interference with the car electrics. Typical British manufacturers attitude can't be bothered to do the job properly.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Thanks all it looks like a trip to the dealer a dealer then....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back