Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Looking at various 12v tvs I see they come with a 240 lead and a cigarette plug 12v lead.In my living area there's a space for a tv behind which are 2 sockets,one 3 pin and a 2 pin 12v one.In the 2pin one is a plug ready to accept wires.There would not be enough wire on the cigarette plug adaptor to reach front of van and I don't suppose that's how u do it could anyone explain

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I think someone will be popping along to advise you that 12v TV's have a small problem, in that they really like 12v... and you can rarely supply that, it tends to fluctuate. I believe some people use an inverter to take the supply to 240v, then a "dropper" to bring it back down to a stabilised 12 volt.
The immediate question would be "If i take it up to 240v, why not just use that?"...........the answer "I THINK" would,be that an inverted 240v would not last long...but i could be wrong, await a more accurate reply/:ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Louise

You can either remove the 12v connector and wire it up to the 2-pin 12v plug, or get a 12v extention cable which aren't expensive.

As for running a TV direct from 12v, we've done it for years with various makes and never had a problem at all with 'fluctuating' current - some will advise you not to do it, others will say the same as me.

Also, you don't have to buy an expensive TV either, there are some standard type domestic (home) ones that have the normal 240v 3-pin plug on which goes into a 12v transformer built into the power lead (looks like a small black brick) which then connects to the TV, and for these you can do away with the 240v lead/transformer completely and plug a 12v lead direct into the TV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
Just to add, I think you would be better off using a stabilser such as this
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amperor-LCD-Volt-Stabiliser-Regulator/dp/B000ZLRXG8[/ame]

This will make sure you have a stable voltage imput and no spikes that can bugger up your tv.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back