12 Volt FreeSat box (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Can anyone please recommend a FreeSat box that works directly on 12Volts. Ideally with some recording capability. We are having a second TV at home as the allows 4 connections. The idea is to move it to the MH with the recorded items and watch them during our travels. A dish can be added on the MH later.

Many Thanks
Gordon

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Anything I've recorded off Freesat I wish to watch in the van I just copy to a memory stick and plug that into the TV in the van. Simplest way I think.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've just brought a Icecrypt S1600CHD, very impressed with it, only has recording via 2 x USB slots can use a memory stick or USB hard drive. They do a more expensive version with built-in hard drive. The S1600 is £60 one with hard drive £100 I think they are only available from Maplin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Do you want FreeSat or Free to Air? Plenty of Free to Air (FTA) Boxes around, 12 volt harder to get a 12 volt FreeSat box which is aimed at the domestic market

Link Removed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The Icecrypt ones are Freesat and 12v, I brought it because I was fed up with the Free to Air tuner in the TV.
Also it retains settings for multiple satellites, which the TV didn't.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The Icecrypt ones are Freesat and 12v, I brought it because I was fed up with the Free to Air tuner in the TV.
Also it retains settings for multiple satellites, which the TV didn't.
I thought that IceCrypt were Free to Air not FreeSat?

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Icecrypt receivers are NOT an official Freesat box.
It will not have the Freesat EPG, software or logos, unless someone has produced their own version of firmware to make it look like Freesat.

Currently Humax, Bush and Manhattan, are the only official Freesat set top box makers.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Has the freesat 7 day EPG and the channels come up on the right numbers (I think) not like FTA.
Freesat EPG gives next 7 days of programming . Free to air usually only gives current and next program so no comparison.

EDIT I see @Satandpcguy said it could be unofficial

http://icecrypt.com

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Lol Some one on Motorhome fun Facebook page had posted a picture of four of those switches, admittedly on a plate for £25 :Eeek:

So I was trying to help them not make an expensive mistake

Lucky it wasn't A dildo lol

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Been looking for a switch Ed ?:LOL:

Phew... !!!
Thank goodness his last search was only a switch. !!!!!
Lucky escape.....

Buy Manhattan... My old company brand, keep the staff in a job.. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Icecrypt receivers are NOT an official Freesat box.
It will not have the Freesat EPG, software or logos, unless someone has produced their own version of firmware to make it look like Freesat.

Currently Humax, Bush and Manhattan, are the only official Freesat set top box makers.
Now this is interesting, when I fitted my Icecrypt box a couple of weeks ago I was getting a 7 EPG and the UK channels were in order. I just went out to the van and fired it up to take a pic for you guys, well what a disappointment it is now only showing now & next in the EPG and the channel numbers are the all over the place same as in FTA.

I've emailed them to see if there is any resolution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SomeoneElse
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks guys, a lot of interesting comments, and a good bit to think about.
To clear things up, it is a FreeSat box we want. It will be used both as a second home box and a MH box. Our current FreeSat box is a Pan-a-cronic one we bought it when BBC first used HD. The best description of this box is that its crap. I was hoping for some reviews, but now realise that there are very few to choose from. Clearly FreeSat isn't a money spinner any more, if it ever was.

Icecrypt don't claim to be FreeSat, and unfortunately only has a single input, we are so used to recording and watching at the same time. the five minutes prep time the Pan-a-cronic needs to setup a recording make back to back recording problematical. We were hoping for better.
The Manhattan product looks the business but I note that rear view of the unit here http://www.manhattan-tv.com/products/plaza-hdr-s-freesat show the the DC input is marked as 13V not 12V. Its also out of stock on Amazon and Argos. Looks like Tesco may have at £149.
The Bush one on Ebay has a damaged box, otherwise its also £149.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks guys, a lot of interesting comments, and a good bit to think about.
To clear things up, it is a FreeSat box we want. It will be used both as a second home box and a MH box. Our current FreeSat box is a Pan-a-cronic one we bought it when BBC first used HD. The best description of this box is that its crap. I was hoping for some reviews, but now realise that there are very few to choose from. Clearly FreeSat isn't a money spinner any more, if it ever was.

Icecrypt don't claim to be FreeSat, and unfortunately only has a single input, we are so used to recording and watching at the same time. the five minutes prep time the Pan-a-cronic needs to setup a recording make back to back recording problematical. We were hoping for better.
The Manhattan product looks the business but I note that rear view of the unit here http://www.manhattan-tv.com/products/plaza-hdr-s-freesat show the the DC input is marked as 13V not 12V. Its also out of stock on Amazon and Argos. Looks like Tesco may have at £149.
The Bush one on Ebay has a damaged box, otherwise its also £149.
You'd rather pay £35 for the box ?

OP
OP
SomeoneElse
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
You'd rather pay £35 for the box ?
I am prepared to pay £35 to buy from known source with a local service point. Especially at the moment, as on Saturday we when out to TLC and bought two LED outside lights for front and back doors, to replace old units, one had failed. Then on to John Lewis to buy our new TV they had just one in stock. Back home tried out set it up NO PICTURE!, Samsung help line said faulty screen, as did John Lewis, no more in stock so a replacement due to be delivered on Friday. The LED lights, one perfect and one faulty. I was really gad I could take it back to TLC for a no quibble replacement swap on Monday.
BTW http://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?p=3048263 showed I could have saved £50 on the TV from someone with a office, but facilities to receive returns in Birmingham. I think I made the right choice with JL.

Edit: Its called the MIN-MAX principle, minimise the maximum hassle.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Now this is interesting, when I fitted my Icecrypt box a couple of weeks ago I was getting a 7 EPG and the UK channels were in order. I just went out to the van and fired it up to take a pic for you guys, well what a disappointment it is now only showing now & next in the EPG and the channel numbers are the all over the place same as in FTA.

I've emailed them to see if there is any resolution.
They replied confirming it is only a FTA and do not know why I was able to get the Freesat info.
I'm not going bonkers, I dragged my wife out to the van to shown her how much better the EPG was and the order of the channels.
All gone now.:cry::cry::cry:

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
Anything I've recorded off Freesat I wish to watch in the van I just copy to a memory stick and plug that into the TV in the van. Simplest way I think.
How do you copy it ? is it possible to do it from a sky box ??

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I use a Humax box, don't know anything about Sky, never used it before. However, if you can record to your hard drive on your Sky box I see no reason you should not be able to copy/move the files to a stick and then view them on your van TV.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Do you want FreeSat or Free to Air? Plenty of Free to Air (FTA) Boxes around, 12 volt harder to get a 12 volt FreeSat box which is aimed at the domestic market

Link Removed
Hi eddy my van has a dvb maxview fitted from new but now blowing fuses.smells also like burning. Just over 2 years old. Also noticed that the plastic shrink rap had not been taken off so it could not breath. Possible overheated. Any ideas were I can get a replacement.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We want one with a twin tuner, anyone know of one?

OP
OP
SomeoneElse
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We want one with a twin tuner, anyone know of one?
We got the Mahattan recording box with twin tuners. It came with an external 12V power supply block, Rhat works fine from mains, I need to make up a 12V lead for the MH before we set off on our travels in March.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back