12 volt extension lead 3 outlet? (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
i hope a member can advise me. I need to run the following, Snipe, TV, sat receiver box. All of them are 12 volt, so the question is, can I run them all from one 12 volt plug, with one of those extension leads that have 3 female plug holes? If so, I am guessing that a cheap Chines job is not a good idea, has anybody got suggestions for a really solid extension lead, or should I be looking at some other way to solve the problem.

Thank you for any help.(y)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
We use them for running the tv, the rechargeable torch and the phone chargers etc. They usually have a maximum current rating of about 5 amps for the Chinese ones and up to 10 amps for good ones like Durite. The thing to check is that each plug has a good clean connection by making sure it does not get hot in use.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Me too. Nowadays you can also get them with a USB charger socket or two, which might come in handy.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I have 5 12v sockets scattered throughout the van but use a twin extension to connect the TV and I boost in a cupboard.

?

Deleted User
Aldi had them last week. Three sockets and two USB. Under a fiver i think it was. Unsure about the amps though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

?

Deleted User
Sorry i was talking mince. It only had two sockets

Broken Link Removed

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You don't say what type your van is. Maybe like mine it has a 12V distribution unit like my Schaudt Electroblock 101 that has several spare fused circuits designed for exactly this kind of expansion.

I added wires from the front panel MnL connector to a multiway 1/4 inch spade male terminal block. From there I wired a 4-way cigar-lighter-type extension from Maplin. cutting off the plug and using crimped 1/4 inch spade female connectors to connect into the terminal block. The fuse in the plug is not necessary because the circuit is fused at the Electroblock.

If you're going for an extension with built-in USB, check the amp output. The older 1.0 amp is ok for some phones and mifi units, but will struggle to keep a smartphone, tablet or satnav charged on a long journey. Go for a USB output of 2.1 amps. Also be wary of the extensions with 'battery condition' LEDs, which can be annoyingly bright if mounted on top of the dashboard.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
You don't say what type your van is. Maybe like mine it has a 12V distribution unit like my Schaudt Electroblock 101 that has several spare fused circuits designed for exactly this kind of expansion.

I added wires from the front panel MnL connector to a multiway 1/4 inch spade male terminal block. From there I wired a 4-way cigar-lighter-type extension from Maplin. cutting off the plug and using crimped 1/4 inch spade female connectors to connect into the terminal block. The fuse in the plug is not necessary because the circuit is fused at the Electroblock.

If you're going for an extension with built-in USB, check the amp output. The older 1.0 amp is ok for some phones and mifi units, but will struggle to keep a smartphone, tablet or satnav charged on a long journey. Go for a USB output of 2.1 amps. Also be wary of the extensions with 'battery condition' LEDs, which can be annoyingly bright if mounted on top of the dashboard.

Thanks for the info, my MH is I am afraid before all that Electroblock stuff, Transit 2001 Rimor. So I will get one of those 3 outlet extension things as from the replies, it seems that will do the trick. I will look for the output amps.

Thanks guys for all your replies, as usual very helpful.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back