12 volt extension lead 3 outlet?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Billy23, May 29, 2016.

1. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

i hope a member can advise me. I need to run the following, Snipe, TV, sat receiver box. All of them are 12 volt, so the question is, can I run them all from one 12 volt plug, with one of those extension leads that have 3 female plug holes? If so, I am guessing that a cheap Chines job is not a good idea, has anybody got suggestions for a really solid extension lead, or should I be looking at some other way to solve the problem.

Thank you for any help.(y)

2. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

We use them for running the tv, the rechargeable torch and the phone chargers etc. They usually have a maximum current rating of about 5 amps for the Chinese ones and up to 10 amps for good ones like Durite. The thing to check is that each plug has a good clean connection by making sure it does not get hot in use.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

No problem.. I do exactly that

• Like Like x 1
  4. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Me too. Nowadays you can also get them with a USB charger socket or two, which might come in handy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

I have 5 12v sockets scattered throughout the van but use a twin extension to connect the TV and I boost in a cupboard.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Aldi had them last week. Three sockets and two USB. Under a fiver i think it was. Unsure about the amps though.

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. ****

**** Read Only Funster

8. autorouter

autorouter Funster

You don't say what type your van is. Maybe like mine it has a 12V distribution unit like my Schaudt Electroblock 101 that has several spare fused circuits designed for exactly this kind of expansion.

I added wires from the front panel MnL connector to a multiway 1/4 inch spade male terminal block. From there I wired a 4-way cigar-lighter-type extension from Maplin. cutting off the plug and using crimped 1/4 inch spade female connectors to connect into the terminal block. The fuse in the plug is not necessary because the circuit is fused at the Electroblock.

If you're going for an extension with built-in USB, check the amp output. The older 1.0 amp is ok for some phones and mifi units, but will struggle to keep a smartphone, tablet or satnav charged on a long journey. Go for a USB output of 2.1 amps. Also be wary of the extensions with 'battery condition' LEDs, which can be annoyingly bright if mounted on top of the dashboard.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Thanks for the info, my MH is I am afraid before all that Electroblock stuff, Transit 2001 Rimor. So I will get one of those 3 outlet extension things as from the replies, it seems that will do the trick. I will look for the output amps.

Thanks guys for all your replies, as usual very helpful.(y)